cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

color to holes

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

color to holes

In many companies, and even in industries, there are some "rules" to apply colors to some features, and specially to holes.

Now I paint holes with mapkeys. But if the pattern adds a new instance, the newly created hole needs to be repainted.

T_F_0-1626080032157.png

Any one knows how to replicate the colors of the newly created holes? Any app? Any workflow?

37 REPLIES 37
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:T_F)

Is this an industry standard or a company requirement?

What other CAD systems do this automatically?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BenLoosli)

In Catia it's very straight forward to pre-build the negative hole geometry with their appropriate colors and then with one click remove all the material from the downstream parts.  No hole thread information was transferred but with the colors you really didn't need it.  (This was 15 years ago.  Not sure what's changed since then.)

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:TomU)

In CATIA  the information of holes IS transferred! There is an option called Technological results, and all of the information of the holes is transferred between parts. It's very robust and very productive way of working!

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I think PTC could do something similar if they allowed this kind of information to be included in both bodies and copy geometry features.  I for one would love to be able to include parameters in copy geoms.  (Layouts/notebooks are not useful because ALL parameters are transferred instead of just the selected ones.)  I guess in the grand scheme of things, thread information is nothing more than parameters associated with a particular feature.  Maybe we can talk @mneumueller to adding something like this to bodies and copy geom features in Creo 10!  🙂

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:TomU)

For CREO 9.0 Please😂

S_Edgenear
15-Moonstone
(To:BenLoosli)

I also work in the molds industry, and this is not only a requirment of all our clients for the parts to be machined, but it's also something that makes us waste a lot of time painting those holes manually, and having to check every time we change a hole number in a pattern, to open at least two parts just to repaint those added holes.

I do not know Catia very much, but as someone here already shown, it makes that process fully automated. I have tried a Top Solid 7 demo a few year ago, and it was miles ahed of Creo in this kind of automation. Not only in transferring colors, but also in the process of making "negative bodies" in general for assembled parts. I think this could be replicated with the multibodies that were implemented in Creo 7, but not much was added in Creo 8, and I do hope that PTC @mneumueller have something to improve this usage case of the multibodies and "negative holes", ie, letting the hole command to generate the "negative body" (usually the threaded portion) to be joined with a component negtative body. Then, like Catia seems to have, and Top Solid definately has, make the assembly process of a component or of an assembly take into consideration any "negative" geometry to be subtracted uppon the selected components in one step. Meaning, there is currently only one flag in the multibody methology, signalling it's a construction body. I propose to add another flag to indicate that a body is intented to be  acutout (negative geometry) to be subtracted when a part is assembled. Since we have this flag, when assembling the part the user interface should present the user a selection list of bodies with the "cutout" flag assigned, to allow a user with a simple cliick assemble the component and automatically aftrwards make a boolean subtraction on the automatically or manually selected components's bodies. If there is a single body with the "cutout" flag activated, this body suhould be automatically selected to be subtracted on the selected (intersected parts) uppon assembling the component.

Also, with the "cutout" or "negative geometry" should automatically give a "tip" to the hole command that any hole on one of it's faces should generate a "protrusion" instead of a "hole", ie, if selecting a face of a prism to be used as a box cutout to start a threaded hole, the hole instead of being cut in the body, it's extruded out of the cutout body, with an external thread insteadd of an internal thread. I cannot do it with multibodies, but almost can do it using different parts and boolean operations between parts. It transfers colors, axis, and threads, which the multibody booleans operations do not do (but should be improved to allow). The only problem with this approach is that we have to manage lots of parts for the cutouts with a filename (I'm using Creo 7 and not 8, so, this would not be a problem if using embedded components). Even if we can do it with this approach, there is missing the auto-cutout uppon assembly that other CAD packages allow, for us not to forget to apply the threaded holes, or cut the space that will be occupied by the assembled component.

T_F
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I everyone.

I've been working on this.

I found a workaround to have the holes painted, even the ones added after hole creation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHo9Cg1fskc

If you are interested I can share the files.

As I said, it's a workaround, the files become more heavier. @TomU , the idea is similar to what CATIA does with negative copy.

In my opinion, PTC Should deliver color on holes, and the negative copy of hole, and as well, thread transfer between parts. It would be a lot easier to do it! @mneumueller it would be possible to do something in multibody?

Create pin holes and threaded holes in assembly, with color transfer for holes
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Just looks like they're using the search tool to me, manually, as I mentioned.  I played around with it a little (since it doesn't affect me at all), and also came to the conclusion there's no easy way.  I was HOPING that "Intent Surfaces" would do it, like intent USUALLY works for, say, adding rounds, but it doesn't.

Now that I see it's a thing for you guys, it would make sense for PTC to make this enhancement.  But, we're STILL waiting for the solid-body sweeps that we've been asking for for years, so....

Top Tags