cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community email notifications are disrupted. While we are working to resolve, please check on your favorite boards regularly to keep up with your conversations and new topics.

displayed units rounding off on dimensions

AndreyPavlov
1-Newbie

displayed units rounding off on dimensions

ProE Wildfire 5

When I enter a dimension number say .025 and when I go in for Dynamic Edit or Edit Definition the display on the model is .03

When I click on the dimension or view it in the collection box it does display the .025

It's just very unsettling to see wrong dimentions displayed thinking that I have entered in a wrong value. Plus I am concerned when it goes to print the drawings will they be the rounded off numbers.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Andrey...

I agree with your settings for Default_Dec_Places and Default_Ang_Dec_Places (although I usually just go with 1 for that one).

Be careful with the Round_Displayed_Dim_Values setting. If you're doing any type of dual dimensioning, you'll want that set to YES otherwise you'll get a string of 12 digits to the left of your decimal on your dual dimensions (and other reference dimensions). Just keep an eye on that setting... it can bite you.

I am NOT a mold expert but I'd have to say if you're setting your accuracy to .0000001, you're setting it waaaaay to high. Unless you're molding pieces of an artificial heart for the President or something, I can't imagine needing to set anything that fine. This will crush your system's performance unless you're running a very 'hot' workstation... like the kind used for intensive analysis calculations.

I'd think .0001 would be more than acceptable. Of course... if you have VERY LARGE PARTS with VERY SMALL FEATURES, I could see going smaller. If you anything larger than, say, a basketball sized piece with very fine features, maybe you'd need to increase that number.

Again, I am not a mold person... but from my Pro/E experience and some mold experience from years back, this seems reasonable.

If there are any MOLD people around and they disagree, perhaps they'll jump in and set me straight.

Thanks and good luck!

-Brian

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

hi Andrey,

I am guessing sketcher tends to round the values this way. Use measure tool to measure the model and make sure you get the desired dimension.

Andrey,

This behavior is controlled by the DEFAULT_DEC_PLACES setting in the confog.pro. Also you can enable and disable the default rounding in the config option ROUND_DISPLAYED_DIM_VALUES. Both these settings are in WF5 and Creo.

Thks just what I was looking for i think.

What do you recommend ie. when you start a project in general what does your config file look like?

DEFAULT_DEC_PLACES (for linear dimension 0-14, default is 2) <value: ???> I went with 4

DEFAULT_ANG_DEC_PLACES (for angular dimensions 0-14, default is 1) <value: ???> I went with 2

ROUND_DISPLAYED_DIM_VALUES (default is yes) <value: NO>

Others I would like to know

default_abs_accuracy <value: ???> so if you were starting in inches it would be maybe .0001 and if you were starting in mm then .00254. I do molds and read in tutorial that this should be set at .0000001 -but another forum member noted how this would bog down the computer and even have some things not render correcly. He was correct because I converted 1 part file and it took 20min and had some feature rendering failures.

Well please comment on best practice cheers.

Hi Andrey...

I agree with your settings for Default_Dec_Places and Default_Ang_Dec_Places (although I usually just go with 1 for that one).

Be careful with the Round_Displayed_Dim_Values setting. If you're doing any type of dual dimensioning, you'll want that set to YES otherwise you'll get a string of 12 digits to the left of your decimal on your dual dimensions (and other reference dimensions). Just keep an eye on that setting... it can bite you.

I am NOT a mold expert but I'd have to say if you're setting your accuracy to .0000001, you're setting it waaaaay to high. Unless you're molding pieces of an artificial heart for the President or something, I can't imagine needing to set anything that fine. This will crush your system's performance unless you're running a very 'hot' workstation... like the kind used for intensive analysis calculations.

I'd think .0001 would be more than acceptable. Of course... if you have VERY LARGE PARTS with VERY SMALL FEATURES, I could see going smaller. If you anything larger than, say, a basketball sized piece with very fine features, maybe you'd need to increase that number.

Again, I am not a mold person... but from my Pro/E experience and some mold experience from years back, this seems reasonable.

If there are any MOLD people around and they disagree, perhaps they'll jump in and set me straight.

Thanks and good luck!

-Brian

Top Tags