cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

dm_overwrite_contents_on_update yes does not work

kdirth
20-Turquoise

dm_overwrite_contents_on_update yes does not work

Am I missing something or does dm_overwrite_contents_on_update actually do nothing for me?  The description states: 'Yes: Windchill Workspace Update will overwrite locally/modified out of date objects with the ones in the server. No (Default): Windchill Workspace Update will update metadata only.', however I still get anything modified locally only updating the meta data unless I change it to overwrite.  We are seeing a lot of overwritten data recently.

Creo 7.0.3.0 / WC 12.0.2.1

There is always more to learn in Creo.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:kdirth)

After more digging thru articles, I finally found a setting that does what I am looking for.

The issue is on the Windchill side as I am managing the workspace from the in-session browser.

This is a change to the Windchill settings: Quick Links > My Settings > Preferences > Workgroup Manager Client > Update Overwrite Local Content  - Change to Yes

kdirth_0-1648653510043.png

After some trial and error, I found that dm_overwrite_contents_on_update controls only the process when using Creo menus to update a file.  If using Creo menus to update does not do a very good job of warning you that the CAD data is not updating, only the meta data, if dm_overwrite_contents_on_update is set to No.

I now have both set to Yes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I feel your pain.  This has been a HUGE complaint of mine since we were forced to go from PDMLink (which was FAR superior IMPO) to Windchill.  Ugh!.  I agree, if you have modified geometry in your Workspace, then decide that you don't want the design to incorporate those changes (I mean, because our bosses NEVER change their minds, RIGHT???), you should be able to overwrite the CAD data with the older (Version-wise) from Commonspace.  But no.  The only thing I trust to actually work is close those files out of session (perhaps closing an assembly or 2 and Erase the file(s) from your Session) to DELETE the file(s) from your Workspace, then RE-Add the file(s) from Commonspace.  That's the ONLY way I trust Windchill not to do something stupid.

Best of luck!

kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Patriot_1776)

I would like Update to default to download all files, unmodified and modified.  Currently it is up to the user to change modified files to download by checking the box and selecting the download button.  I have not seen any problems with updating as long as everything gets set to download.  But, it only takes missing that step once to cause problems.

kdirth_0-1648642590452.png

If I don't get an answer here, I will open a support case since it is not working as described.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

After more digging thru articles, I finally found a setting that does what I am looking for.

The issue is on the Windchill side as I am managing the workspace from the in-session browser.

This is a change to the Windchill settings: Quick Links > My Settings > Preferences > Workgroup Manager Client > Update Overwrite Local Content  - Change to Yes

kdirth_0-1648653510043.png

After some trial and error, I found that dm_overwrite_contents_on_update controls only the process when using Creo menus to update a file.  If using Creo menus to update does not do a very good job of warning you that the CAD data is not updating, only the meta data, if dm_overwrite_contents_on_update is set to No.

I now have both set to Yes.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Huh, this is good to know, I'll look into this, thanks!

This is SUCH an important thing, it is inexcusable that PTC doesn't fix this.  PDMLink used to actually do a great job of Updating, you KNEW that an update would actually overwrite your Workspace file(s) with the Commonspace one(s).

Hello @kdirth and @Patriot_1776 

Good to hear you found the way to drive the Update process as you want. Relmated to this discussion, but also enlagring the scope for a better explanation:

• Usually, config.pro options drive behaviors of commands launched in Creo Parametric user Interface

=> Hence the reason why dm_overwrite_contents_on_update takes effect when calling Update from Creo Parametric menus, like RMB in Model Tree OR >File (in Creo) >Update

• Behaviors driven by commands launched in Embedded Browser of Creo Parametric are however driven by Windchill Preferences

=> Hence the reason why > Workgroup Manager Client > Update Overwrite Local Content preference takes effect when calling >File (in Embedded Workspace) >Update

Also, just for information and future reference is needed, we document the full Update capabilities (From Creo versus from Embedded Browser) - and different scenarios to better illustrate what's going on in some specific situations - in article 292035.

Regards,

Serge

Top Tags