cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

duplicating an assembly

TR_9887996
3-Visitor

duplicating an assembly

I am a newer user of Creo Parametric 6.0 as well as to CAD in general.  I have been learning it on my own and have used a number of resources to learn the basic concepts.

I have created an assembly for a clamping fixture.  However, I would like to expand the fixture from the current two stations to a total of ten stations.  

Is there a way to basically copy (or duplicate) the existing assembly and add four additional assembles to the side to accomplish this task?  Or should I start from scratch ?  

Thanks in advance,

Tim

8 REPLIES 8
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:TR_9887996)

There are many options.

Grouping the components will make it easier to copy them as a single unit.

If the spacing is uniform between your clamps, you can pattern the group to place the additional clamps.

Another option: If the clamp assembly is being used in multiple locations or may be used in multiple files, create it as a standalone assembly and bring that into your fixture assembly.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
KE_2142943
4-Participant

It sounds to me like you need 3 assemblies.

1. Clamping fixture assembly
  2. Station assembly
  3. New assembly to place other 2 assemblies

You can assemble your stations in a new assembly and then assemble your clamping fixture to those stations.

The hierarchy in your model tree would look like this:

newassembly.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- clampfix.asm

- clampfix.asm

- clampfix.asm

- clampfix.asm

- clampfix.asm

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:KE_2142943)

Depending on how modular you want it, the structure could be:

newassembly.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- clampfix.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- clampfix.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- clampfix.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- clampfix.asm

- stationsassy.asm

- clampfix.asm

Thanks for responding.  My design consists of an aluminum baseplate with two horizontal Destaco 601 clamps with a center mounted Destaco 201 vertical clamp with a bridge.  Dowel pins will align the item in place and provide a stop for the action of the 601 clamps.  The 201 will hold down a lid. I've enclosed a jpg of my design.  I basically want to place four additional assemblies next to the one I designed and have them all on one baseplate.

By doing it in the way you outline, will this allow each of the aluminum baseplates to be combined into one common baseplate?  Forgive me if I am not being clear.  I a total newbie and learning as I can when I can.  Thanks again, Tim

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I would suggest lengthening the baseplate, grouping the mounting holes, and patterning the group.  In the assembly you should be able to then pattern by reference all of the parts.

There is always more to learn in Creo.
KE_2142943
4-Participant

After looking at your jpg I would extend the baseplate and add mounting holes to accommodate all the parts needed.

If I were creating this, the baseplate would be one part, extended long enough to accommodate all the other parts.

I would then create a new main assembly and add the baseplate to that and then assemble all the other parts to the baseplate.

I try to create my Creo assemblies to mimic how I would do it in real life.

I created the one assembly as a learning exercise in helping me to learn CREO. I didn't want to get overwhelmed with a complex design just starting out. I was hoping that there would be a easy solution to expand upon my initial design. It sounds like I can expand the baseplate, group the various holes and place them onto the baseplate. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Tim
Top Tags