cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

family table of framework AFX assembly

rene_rudolf
4-Participant

family table of framework AFX assembly

Dear PTC Community,

I have a fairly simple question which I could not find an answer to.
I have created a framework assembly with some rectangular tubes that are welded together. There is one (main) sketch in the assembly that controls the lengths and locations of all the tubes. The tube pieces are parts in the assembly which are auto-generated using the framework AFX. I do now use a family table which is changing dimensions of the (main) sketch in the assembly to build several "configurations" of the whole framework assembly. (I do this because I am lazy and just want to do the drawing once...) The problem I run into is that the parts (tube pieces) inside the framework assembly are auto-generated by the framework AFX and have the same name in each "configuration". This obviously creates the problem that each single (tube piece) part (which is auto-generated by the AFX) can not exist having multiple values for the same dimension so it can be re-used in each configuration of the assembly simultaniously. If they were regular parts I would use a family table inside the part to create several instances that can then be used for each configuration of the assembly but the parts are auto-generated by the framework AFX so I can not do that. What are your suggestions?

Best Regards,
Rene Rudolf

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @rene_rudolf,

I really can not recommend working like this with AFX. Maybe you can create your frame as a AFX Sub Assembly and from there on copy it if needed. That is also the "lazy" approach compared to making the frame work with a family table. If you prepare your base model correct then also the drawing will be copied.

See also this Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUourw43wdM

Hope that helps!

Good weekend & Greetings

Sam

Samuel Brantner
B&W Software GmbH

Hello Samuel Brantner,

Thank you very much for this idea! Have a great weekend as well!

Best Regards,
Rene Rudolf

Top Tags