cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

family table + reference

EricHuffman
2-Guest

family table + reference

Gurus,

I've got a rectangular part (P1) where the xy dimensions are controlled in a family table.

I have another rectangular part (P2) that I want to be the same size as p1.

I assembled the generic of p1 using default constraints. I assembled p2 on top of p1 using datums. Then redefined the feature of p2 to use the edges of p1. Then created an assembly family table.

When I open up an instance I can see that p1 works fine but p2 does not move. It stays the same size as the generic no matter what instance.

Any ideas on how I can get p2 to change size when p1 does?

CREO 2.0 m040

Windchill 10.0 m030

Thanks,

Eric

3 REPLIES 3

Thanks for the responses so far. Hopefully this image will explain what I am trying to do. P1 has a family table and I am successfully calling it out in the assembly family table. P2 has no dimensions because it uses the surfaces of p1. The reference appears to break or does not update correctly when an instance is regenerated. See image. My goal is to get the outer dimensions of p2 to equal p1. I think it has to be a family table because I need to make drawings and I have many instances assembled into a top level.

Eric
[cid:image001.png@01CE766B.3F976DF0]

What's happening is that you are REPLACING the original P1with another part. P2 is tied to the original part NOT to which instance is being used in the assembly. It would work if you actually drove the dimensions with the same family table rather than replacing. Is there a reason you are not looking to identify a different P2 to go with the different P1's? You do need to have separate P1's though? None of this is how I would recommend tying things together, but if you truly need it you might create a sketch in the assembly that is driven by family table, and use the edges for BOTH P1 and P2. It won't create different parts for P1 though. This is basically a skeleton part methodology.

Rob Reifsnyder
Mechanical Design Engineer/ Producibility Engineer / Components Engineer / Pro/E SME / Pro/E Librarian
[LM_Logo_Tag_RGB_NoR_r06]

Hello Rob,

i have a simlar problem. If i have references to a part or assembly, which is changed to an other instance by a family table, the references will not change to the instance but they stay at the generic part.

Is there a solution by now to automatically change the reference to the open instance? I am working in a mold design assembly.

Thanks for your help!

Andriko

Mechanical Design Engineer

Phoenix Contact

Top Tags