cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

fatigue which include chemical environment

mkrajci
1-Newbie

fatigue which include chemical environment

Hi,

Is possible modeling fatigue analysis which include chemical environment ? For example: fatigue of tooth, where acts Chemical substances.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Usually the environment is accounted for via an extra stress factor. But this is very tricky business. You cannot just say that a certain chemical has a factor of X. The factor will be different for different concentrations of the chemical, and will have different effects on different materials. So I don't think anyone has ever dared to create an overview of such factors. Perhaps some studies have been done to your particular case of interest. Otherwise you probably need to do some extensive (and expensive) testing.

Where can I define extra stress factor ?

Depends on your tools. How are you currently calculating fatigue?

over fatique analysis. We are partner PTC , we have all extension..

I do not have that luxury, so I have to go on what i read and see.

You could (ab)use the surface finish and try different settings, and then compare it to test results. But this is sort of a black box with only discrete settings.

Another option may be what they call the "failure strength reduction factor Kf". That way you have more control over the actual reduction numbers, and you can tune your model more precisely to the test results.

In any case it will be difficult to get good results. But you will have the same trouble with other software or hand calculations. The influence of environment on fatigue is just difficult to predict.

Top Tags