cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

flexible modeling with STL Files

gbon
1-Newbie

flexible modeling with STL Files

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if it's possible to import an STL file and adapt its
dimensions using flexible modeling?

Something like adjusting a box dimensions.

Perhaps it's necessary first to create Isdx or Creo surfaces and then adapt
their dimensions?

So then, is it possible to drive size with dimensions or parameters?

(I'm not able to test this by myself yet).

Thanks,

GB

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
rrich
2-Guest
(To:gbon)

Here is my take on this. An STL file is nothing but small planer triangle surfaces, so importing it will not yield dimensional results. With the latest Direct Modeler you should be able to push pull and warp it all over the place but at that point there will be some strange things happening to these little flat surfaces. I am not sure what is available from an ISDX or Scan import point of view but it may convert the STL data more smoothly.

Just tested and upon importing the STL file it shows up as a facet feature which you can do nothing with. No solidify , no cut or extrude, just dumb facets. Basically worthless. Even moving to ISDX I can do nothing with the import. If you own mold design or NC you could use shrinkage differently in each axis but other than that there is nothing to do with an stl import other than look at it and spin it.

Ron
DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock
(To:gbon)

When I create a .STL file of a part, then open that .STL, I'm seeing nothing that indicates the flexible modeling extension will interact with it at all.
Top Tags