cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

haven't used creo in two years, got a couple questions.

tmeyer
1-Newbie

haven't used creo in two years, got a couple questions.

Hello,

I just switched jobs and back to using Creo after two and a half years.

Im' having trouble with trying to remembering a few functions.

1) Im trying to move a slot looking shape. I copied all the surfaces pasted them under a new part in the assembly. used pattern to move it  to my new

location and merged it to subtract it from my model. everything looked good. then i hit the regenerate button and it exploded. I remember theirs a button

i need to hit so my new part isn't associated with the original but i cant remember for the life of me what it is.

2) if i'm going from one model to another model, am I suppose to hit 'erase not displayed' after i close out of one before  open the next. or what am i supposed to

do after i close out one model before going to the next.

Im sure ill have more questions, but these are the two that have me stumped at the moment. Any help will be appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:tmeyer)

1) Don't have a clue on this one.

2) Creo keeps models/drawings etc in memory even though you close them. If you have saved the file(s), you can close them and then erase not displayed to clear the memory used by them. You can also use "erase current" if you have a model open you want to close and erase from memory.

You don't have to clear the memory, it is not a requirement. I would only do it if you are having performance issue with memory usage.

Thanks Stephen,

Maybe i'm not explaining myself right on number 1, 

Lets say you have a dumb model, was a .stp file. And theirs a feature you need to move 10mm one direction. whats the best way to go about moving that feature.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Well, that's a tough one. Dumb models are, well, dumb.

In Creo 3, with the right licenses, there is an option called FLEXIBLE MODELING. It's intent is specifically for issues like this.

Since your feature is complicated, I'm not sure this is the right approach though. I've never used it for anything other than some simple adjustments.

I'm hoping this leads you to a potential solution but I'm not really able to guide you to it.

I dont have flexible modeling. Im using creo 2.0

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:StephenW)

These features are in Creo 2 as well. If you do not have native Creo features then it goes harder. You can do what Stephen Williams‌ suggested, remodel from scratch or fill in the old feature and then add a new one.

Or is you wanted to open a different version of the same model.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Rather than coping the surfaces is it possible to just copy the feature itself?

Try:

1. Select feature in original model

2. Click copy

3. Activate new model

4. Click Paste drop down -> Paste Special

5. Uncheck "Make Fully Dependent" if checked and check "Advanced reference configuration"

6. Select the new references in your new model that correspond to the references in the original model.

7. Click ok and you should be done.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Reading through your post again it sounds like you are coping surfaces at the assembly level and then doing an assembly level cut. I would not recommend this approach if you can avoid it. Assembly level cuts create hidden family tables which can cause failures and significant performance hits.

tmeyer
1-Newbie
(To:Chris3)

Thanks for you response, i think we might be on the right track. this is what i got. 4 separate inserts in my assembly. there is 2 long slots, both slots need to move towards the center 10mm.

problem child.jpg

bgruman
1-Newbie

Travis,

This is what I would call "Dirty" modeling,  but when working with tooling import models sometimes it needs to be done...

The technique is easier shown then explained and there are many variables along the way that will depend on your exact geometry that would be way to deep to get into over an e-mail...   but,  Here are the basic steps that need to be done.   Hopefully it is easy enough to understand and you can fiddle with the model to figure out the rest.

1) Copy the surfaces that make up the side walls of the slot.

2) Copy the Quilt and Paste - Transform the surface quilt 10mm toward the center.

- To select the Quilt from the first step,  make sure you use the filter box and select "Quilts"...  Not features!

3) You'll need to get creative about patching (or filling in) the current slot geometry.

4) Merge (or solidify) the pasted surfaces in your new location.

Good Luck!

Bernie

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

Hi Travis, looks like you have a couple of mold inserts and want to move the slots to a new location.

are all the inserts solids?  if the inserts are not solids you should deal with that first.

assuming they are

work at part level

copy the surfaces that make up the slot (sides and bottom, if there is one)

extrude a surface that will close the surrounding sides

merge the copy and the extruded surface, creating a closed quilt

copy the quilt and paste special, move to the new location

solidify the first quilt as a solid, closes the original slot

solidify the moved quilt as a cut, opens the slot in the new location

a bit on the hammer and chisel side...but...it is what it is

see the attached creo2 model

good luck

this is good stuff. thanks guys this is what i was looking for. thanks!!!

Now whats the best way to fix a model that isn't a solid. half the models came in as surface models.

Chris3
20-Turquoise

Best thing to do is to have whomever you got them from re-export them as a solid. Try multiple formats if the first didn't work. If that isn't possible you have to use the data doctor to try and stitch the surfaces back together so you can make a solid. If the model is symmetric sometimes you can cut away half of it, mirror it and then make it solid.

Hi Travis, the short answer is IDD...but...before you go there.

are you sure you don't have flexible modeling? it may be a config option

it will work with a surface model as long as it is broken someplace else.

look at the attached model. can you resume and edit the move at the end of the model tree?

it's the same model as before but as a surf model.

can the move be made in the native software?

where did the models come from? software

what format iges, step, parasoild?  lately I have been having major issues with solidworks parasolids and creo2

is there a moldmaker tapping their foot waiting?

in order to carve it up the way it was explained you need a solid...but...this is creo, always more than one way to skin a cat.

assuming someone is going to have to machine to the model, pull them in and see how the models imports for them.

there is nothing wrong with a surface model if the folks downstream can work with it. depends on what is breaking.

you can get to the same place with surfaces. it is  bit more to do and to try to explain...but....by changing the extrudes to

surfaces and the solidify to a merges you can make it work.

i have had good results on the import side using a start part with with the accuracy set to absolute @ .00005 to start.

looking at your snapshot .00005 is a long shot...but...you have to start some place, cutting creo loose using relative

accuracy is for sure not the place to start. with some trial&error you maybe able to find the sweet spot.

IDD is very accuracy sensitive...and it can produce nasty results. so user beware.

work with a copy and save often!

again....good luck

dguillette wrote:

i have had good results on the import side using a start part with with the accuracy set to absolute @ .00005 to start.

looking at your snapshot .00005 is a long shot...but...you have to start some place, cutting creo loose using relative

accuracy is for sure not the place to start. with some trial&error you maybe able to find the sweet spot.

Definitely have a play with accuracy before trying anything more drastic, like IDD.

I'm pretty sure you can just keep adjusting the the accuracy in the imported part and regenerating - can't remember whether it will automatically solidify once it manages to create a closed volume, or whether you have to try manually adding a Solidify feature.

Absolute accuracy generally makes more sense than relative IMO.  As you're in mm, you'll want values probably in the range 0.1 - 0.005 or thereabouts - 0.01 should be a good start point, then adjust either up or down in "1-2-5-10-20-50" steps and see whether you can find a sweet spot.

Good luck!

The models are from china i believe, and they remind me of a train wreck i seen on tv once. I appreciate everyone's input on this. with a mix and match and a little pixi dust I will be able to get something out the the shop floor, it wont be a beauty queen but it will get the job done. Thanks again

Top Tags