cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

how to fix the .prt that cannot be opened through creo3.0?

TW_10674617
4-Participant

how to fix the .prt that cannot be opened through creo3.0?

Hi everyone,

I have the problem to open the .prt file, when I use the following steps
Creo > open file> xxx.prt  , it will show that can not be capture.

I also find this problem to import the assemble file. 

But when I directly open the xxx.prt, it's can be opened. And when the xxx.prt is working in the background, the xxx.prt can be import the assemble file. After I save the whole assemble file, the assemble file opened will have the original problem next time.

Only this xxx.prt has this problem, other are fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can you post the exact error that Creo displays? Is it possible that when you are opening it directly you are opening it from one folder location but when its being opened in the assembly it is getting opening from another location due to search paths? In this case it could be that the search path file has been saved with a newer version of Creo and can't be opened in Creo 3.0

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Can you post the exact error that Creo displays? Is it possible that when you are opening it directly you are opening it from one folder location but when its being opened in the assembly it is getting opening from another location due to search paths? In this case it could be that the search path file has been saved with a newer version of Creo and can't be opened in Creo 3.0

TW_10674617
4-Participant
(To:Chris3)

Hi Chris3,

Thanks for your replying.

Sorry, I use the Chinese version,and translate the wrong meaing.The exact error is shown in the bottom text box "Cannot be retrieve xxx.prt".

I'm sure that the version is the same (Creo3.0). Because all .prt and .asm are drown by myself. The .prt and .asm are in the same folder.

I

Was the .prt a Solidworks export? There was a period of time when Solidworks was exporting "native" .prt files and it caused a lot of issues. Do you have any small surfaces or imported geometry in the .prt file? It could be that if you have relative accuracy set then when it gets imported into a large assembly the accuracy causes the part to fail (although I haven't seen this to resolve as the error message you stated).

The two most common cases I have see that error message from are:

1. Trying to open a Creo file with an older version of Creo then the one it was last saved in

2. Trying to open a Solidworks .prt export with Creo

TW_10674617
4-Participant

The .prt is created by Creo3.0, so it's not  a solidworks export. Maybe I will try some about the retrieve solutions, or redraw this .prt.
Thanks for your replying.

TW_10674617
4-Participant

Today I checked the company MIS, they said my computer has the two version Creo2.0 and Creo3.0. So I got the solution to this problem.

Thank you for making time for me. I really appreciate it.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:TW_10674617)

On occasion a part file or an assembly file will become corrrupt. It's not normal

If you are working on a file based system in directories (not Windchill), check to see if you have older iterations of the files. You will likely have to turn on "extensions" in windows to see these iterations. See the screenshot. Notice, it's all the same filename 735567.prt.1, .2, .3. These are each save you did. By default this is how creo saves the files and when you open in creo, it doesn't show the iterations.  You can temporarily rename or move the newer files to test opening the older ones.

Can you share the file to this discussion? You will have to .zip the file to share it. That will allow us to try and open it and see if we can find the problem. 

If you can, please include if it is a commercial or education version of creo. 

StephenW_0-1691412467275.png

TW_10674617
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

Sorry, I cannot share this file.It's the company case.I will check the older one, You reminds me that I suddenly closed the Creo one time.Next time when I opened the Creo , I didn't click the retrieve one.This reason maybe cause this problem!? .But I remember I already saved it

I feel like I'm guessing at a cause here but have you tried moving the file to your desktop and importing from there? Creo has some pretty strict rules about file paths. We occasionally have issues when users open files from really long file paths. File names are another thing to consider if you have illegal characters. 

Tdaugherty_0-1691419539856.png

Maybe the path name influence the file, In the begining, I set the folder name with the chinese character, and I change it when this problem happen.

But only this .prt has this problem, other .asm  are fine

Top Tags