cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

how to paint the part at the assembly or sub-assembly level so that its color is also automatically

Jonathan_info
8-Gravel

how to paint the part at the assembly or sub-assembly level so that its color is also automatically

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:Jonathan_info)

I don't know of a way to do what you want to do.  Creo needs to know where to apply the color.  The active model is where the appearance will be saved.

There is always more to learn in Creo.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

You probably need to show an example of what you are asking for, it is unclear.

When you assign a color to a component (part or sub-assy) in an assembly, the color of that component is specific to the that assembly.

When you assign a color to part, that color shows in assemblies where the part is unless the color is over-ridden in that assembly.

yes, but I would like to apply the color in the assembly and have it assigned to the part as well
When I apply a color in the assembly it is not shown in the part, only in the assembly environment

Do not keep opening piece by piece for this
I waste a lot of time
kdirth
20-Turquoise

Activate the part in the model tree to make changes to the part without opening the part model.

thanks for the tip but this is still not the solution I would like, I would like to select several parts of the assembly at once, imagining that my assembly has more than 1000 parts, activating one by one is still a lot of work
is there another possibility?

Left mouse button selection in the assembly works for this. Drag from left to only choose fully enclosed surfaces/parts/geometries (this can be controlled from the bottom right selection menu), drag from right to include everything you "touch" with the selection frame.

Obrigado pela resposta

Como isso poderia me ajudar? Quero colorir várias partes na montagem e tornar a cor visível na peça também

você poderia me dar um exemplo?

Noteworthy: While fiddling with appearances today I realized that it's fully possibly to CLEAR all appearances on part level directly from an assembly. With this in mind, I think @Jonathan_info is asking for a very reasonable functionality (being able to Select by Appearance would be nice as well...).

EdvinTailwind_0-1670315498011.png

That command is like a delete all command, something you don't want to accidentally hit. It even removes surface colors of sub level parts.

That is one powerful eraser.  It gives you one warning that you will Remove all appearances?

StephenW_0-1670327099571.png

DON'T TEST THIS ON YOUR CURRENT WORK WITHOUT SAVING FIRST, THERE IS NO UNDO...IF YOU TEST IT ON YOUR CURRENT WORK AND SAVE, YOU WILL LOSE ALL COLORS ON ALL PARTS/SUBS-ASSY'S/ASSY'S/SURFACES, EVERYTHING in that open assembly.

I especially enjoy that the icon is exactly the same as clear assembly appearances, making it seem very similar.

kdirth
20-Turquoise

I don't know of a way to do what you want to do.  Creo needs to know where to apply the color.  The active model is where the appearance will be saved.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:StephenW)

Exactly.  Also, to the OP, realize that painting, powder coating (and to a lesser extent, chroming), unlike say, anodizing aluminum and using an IVD/PVD coating, actually noticeably changes the dimensions of the part.  So, if this is NOT for just changing the color in CAD but actually painting the parts, keep that in mind and mask areas (holes, threads, etc.) as needed.

Hi,

you can create trail file a run it.

Example:

1.] I have two parts ... plech.prt, plech2.prt

2.] I want to assign red color to both parts.

3.] I started Creo 7.0.5.0,, open plech.prt, assign red color, save, close window, erase not displayed, finished Creo.

Resulting trail file ... trail.txt.8 in trail8.zip

4.] I copied trail.txt.8 file into _red_color_trail.txt and modified it in Notepad++

5.] I copied _red_color_trail.txt file into _red_color_trail_2.txt and modified it in Notepad++

I copied block of lines and changed plech.prt to plech2.prt in second block.

6.] I started Creo 7.0.5.0, and play _red_color_trail_2.txt trail file.

Now both parts are red.

Note: In the past I used the above method to modify 1000 parts. I created simple BASIC program which read a list of files and generated trail file containing repeated block of lines (every block instance contained specific model name).

Martin Hanák

This technique has worked very well for me in the past. It's a great thing to have handy in your "toolbox" for things you need to do for lots of parts, like punching out 100s of DXF files for drawings, creating STEP files for all parts, etc. I've been able to take care of it with a powerful text editor that lets me define macros (Emacs). Just be sure to test things on small cases before unleashing the method on a huge number of files.

I have turned days and days of drudgery into a couple of hours of complicated editing and execution with this method in the past. It's really cool. It's almost but not quite like being one of those "hackers" in a movie.

Top Tags