cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

is there any way of opening a pro desktop file in pro engineer

timleto
1-Newbie

is there any way of opening a pro desktop file in pro engineer

is there any way of opening a pro desktop file in pro engineer....i have created an object in pro desktop and now i want to render it on pro engineer.... i did it before but i dont know how

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi
I recommend to you use Exchange formats: STEP, IGES, etc.

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Tim,

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=113146 tells us:

Both Pro/ENGINEER 2001 (Datecode 2001320 or higher) and Pro/DESKTOP 2001 are built on PTC's Granite kernel. Because they share this common geometry kernel, both applications can now read native CAD files generated by the other system. For example, a Pro/ENGINEER 2001 user can use the FILE/OPEN menu to import a Pro/DESKTOP 2001 .des file. Furthermore, a Pro/DESKTOP 2001 user can use the FILE/OPEN menu to import a Pro/ENGINEER 2001 .prt file.

In addition to being able to read the other system's files, PTC's Associative Topology Bus (ATB) can be used to support associative update of the imported geometry. For example, a Pro/ENGINEER user imports a Pro/DESKTOP model and then builds additional geometry that references the imported geometry. If the reference Pro/DESKTOP model is changed by the Pro/DESKTOP user, the Pro/ENGINEER user can associatively update the imported geometry in his Pro/ENGINEER model to incorporate these changes.

Although both CAD systems use the same geometry kernel, Pro/ENGINEER and Pro/DESKTOP files are not interchangeable. While each system can read the information stored in the other's files, the format of the other system's files is not native to that system. Pro/ENGINEER cannot directly open a Pro/DESKTOP file, or vice versa. Similar to standard data exchange formats such as STEP or IGES, the importing system must create a copy of the data in its own native file format to make use of the data. For example, when a Pro/ENGINEER user imports the Pro/DESKTOP file "bolt.des", Pro/ENGINEER creates a native Pro/ENGINEER file named "bolt.prt" containing an import feature representing the geometry of "bolt.des". If the Pro/E user decides to add feature content to this new "bolt.prt" file, such as a hole or round, they are not affecting the original, native "bolt.des" file; the new geometry is only stored in the new, copied "bolt.prt" file. Each CAD system can only make modifications to its native files. Therefore, Pro/ENGINEER cannot be used to change a native Pro/DESKTOP .des file, and conversely Pro/DESKTOP cannot be used to change a native Pro/ENGINEER .prt file.

For more information, please review the following help topics in both the Pro/ENGINEER and Pro/DESKTOP help documentation respectively:

Pro/ENGINEER:
About Working within the Accociative Topology Bus Environment

To Automatically Update a Pro/DESKTOP, ICEM, or CDRS Model in Pro/ENGINEER

Pro/DESKTOP:
Using Files Concurrently

---

Martin

Martin Hanák

ok i found out why i didnt let me use pro desktop files on pro engineer it had to be win32 not 64 (my pro desktop is 32 bit but i have a pro engineer in 64 bit but i have installed a 32bit pro/e on my laptop

Top Tags