cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

issues with borders on pdf conversion

ptc-6033175
1-Newbie

issues with borders on pdf conversion

Hi guys

I'm reaching out the PTC community to help resolve an issue we have been experiencing since we did a Windchill rehost/migration.

The problem has nothing to do with server/client relationship, anything like that. It just so happens that when we upgraded from Wildfire to Creo 2.0, a bunch of changes happened and we're trying to come to terms with them.

One change is that we're trying to get away from using a custom PDF conversion utility (ghostscript) and begin using the integrated PDF conversion utility that comes with Creo. The issue we're having is related to border sizing. I've attached two images (exampleA and exampleB.jpg) that show the border issue we're having.

With ghostscript, it seems to have compressed the image inwards on the page, as to leave plenty of border room for our "controlled document" watermarks. The integrated PDF conversion utility seems to bring the image right out to the very edge. It's something we can work with if we had to but we'd rather keep things the way they were with ghostscript, even though we're having issues with ghostscript only capturing 50% of the drawing. I apologize for blacking out the images but I have to - we're a department of defense contractor!

If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this, or know if a newer version of ghostscript might resolve our issue (we're using Ghostscript 5.50) please let us know.

Thanks in advance for any assistance! And pay no attention to the battle.net icon in my taskbar. it's for Starcraft 2.

Ryan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I would guess that the ghostscript sequence is told to use a larger area than the sheet size and there is no similar setting in the Creo version.

You might try just adding little corner marks to the format to force the plotted area larger than the sheet size, but it may be that Creo is following exactly the drawing sheet size and pays no attention to fitting the graphics.

Ghostscript is the go-to utility for ps to pdf conversion among those who don't want to pay for a Corporate Adobe Distiller license or a bunch of individual ones. Distiller used to come with Acrobat Standard and Professional I think; perhaps you can see better what's happening there.

If you are really desperate for it, the header of a PDF tells the page size; you can use Wordpad to change the values or set up a utility to do that for you.

If you can post a blank sheet with just a rectangle outline as it comes from ghostscript and from Creo I can certainly look and return a commented version showing what's different/wrong. It's best to include the postscript file that is being sent to ghostscript, the PDF out of ghostscript and the PDF out of Creo of that rectangle. It's all text so you can check them to make sure no secrets are leaking out. I don't need the drawing file (don't have Creo anyway.)

David is right in that the drawing format is the same size as the output page. You would need the equivalent clear space in your format or sheet size to duplicate what Ghostscript has been doing for you. There is no -easy- way to have the built in PDF export function to do this for you... not in Creo 2.0.

However, you might be able to get help from customer service in understanding how you can make scaled plots with clear borders in the print settings options. Many of the pen plotters required specific routines to work reliably for various requirements. If you can have this output through a PDF print driver rather than the straight forward export function, you might be able to duplicate the Ghostscript functionality.

You could also contact Ghostscript developers to find out what happened.

And welcome to the forum, Ryan!

Top Tags