cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

material removal problem: "cannot produce resulting geometry" HELP

al204
1-Newbie

material removal problem: "cannot produce resulting geometry" HELP

Hello ProE CAM users...

I´m trying to machine the top of these two islands, this is the first step of a series of steps.

In order to update the resulting workpiece I´m have to use the "material removal" function, however this function is not working on this milling sequence.

The message window says "resulting geometry could not be created"

is there another way to update the WP ?? Please look at the images below

best regards,

Al.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Alvaro,

Maybe I´m too late butI just found this board... so here it goes:

Unfortunately "Material removal" is not supposed to work with all geometries/toolpaths. Due to the wide possibilities covered byPro/NC´s toolpaths, it´s almost impossible to develop algorithms covering every possible situation... I´m personally very grateful that Pro/E at least allows the representation of the material removalfrom the stock... most of CAM softwares in the market do not care about this...

In cases which Pro/E could not represent the material removal automatically, thecapability to construct it yourself is the solution. You can create as many features you want to do it...

From Pro/E help

"For Volume and Local milling, the amount of material removed using the Automatic option is defined by the milling volume and depends on the PROF_STOCK_ALLOW parameter value. All material inside the volume will be removed, with the offset equal to the PROF_STOCK_ALLOW value left on the sides and bottom.

For Pocketing, the amount of material removed automatically also depends on the PROF_STOCK_ALLOW parameter value. All material along the surfaces selected for machining will be removed, with the offset equal to the PROF_STOCK_ALLOW value left on the sides and bottom.

When Automatic material removal is performed for a Conventional or Contouring surface milling NC sequence, as well as for Plunge milling, the surface(s) are offset by stock allowance (if applicable) and the side walls are built towards the retract plane. Note that stock allowance is added at all the surface edges as well. This result is then subtracted from the workpiece.

The following illustration shows the tool path and automatic material removal for Conventional surface milling.

Automatic material removal for Profile milling is defined by the tool geometry and the trajectory of the last profiling pass.

Automatic material removal for Face milling removes all material above the surface selected for facing.

Automatic material removal for an Engraving NC sequence will produce a line corresponding to the reference groove. Neither the width nor the depth of the cut will be reflected.

Automatic material removal is not available for Roughing, Reroughing, Trajectory, and Thread milling."

TIP: There is a hidden config.pro option that may help with mostof Trajectory 2/3 axis sequences:

traj_matrem = Yes

Hope that helps,

Regards,

DanielSantos - Sr. NC Programmer / CAM Support

Liebherr Aerospace Brasil

Alvaro,

Regarding your question: "is there another way to update the WP ?? Please look at the images below"

You probably already know that at this point, but here it goes,just in case:

After clicking in Material Removal option in the MFG menu, select "Construct" rather than "Automatic"

Now you can represent the material removal using regular features such as extrusions, revolves, etc...you can create as many features as you need. Just keep in mind that Pro/E will put every new material removal feature right below the NC sequence, so maybe you will have to reorder the features to see the stock correctly. One thing that I do very often: I set the previous sequence as the NC sequence in which I want to contruct my material removal feature and after its creationI reroute it as a child of the correct NC-Sequence. By doing so, I can see the stock exactly as it isduring the material removal construction... anyway, you have to workaround this by yourself...

HTH

Regards,

Daniel Santos - Sr. NC Programmer / CAM Support

Liebherr Aerospace Brasil

Top Tags