cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

modeling a "belt"': flat strip with tab and slot features...

pdkoren
1-Newbie

modeling a "belt"': flat strip with tab and slot features...

I need to design/a "belt" of sorts; basically a thin flat strip with a tab and slot on either ends that will be assembled around a cylinder with the tab pulled thru the slot, with an obvious overlap. I can model the flat version and then an installed version with separate features and then usea family table to turn features on and off as needed BUT, I am wondering if there isn't a more elegant way to accomplish this... Maybe I could modela flatsketch of the shape, thenwrap that around a cylinder and then use both sketches tocreate theinstances, but how do you handle the overlap? Any thoughts, comments or recommendations will be welcomed...

thanks in advance...

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
gdt
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:pdkoren)

In the old days there was a "boundry" curve inwhich it was a unifying cuve after you had sketched the original segments it would COPY all of the segments and make it one curve. I would make the over lap condition in the original sketches make this bounding curve trim it to points on the original curve and then you can manipulate the distance of the ends. Or the shape of the orignial curves by their angled or controlling dimensions.
mjenkins
5-Regular Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO8vaadx1bU&feature=g-all-fbc&context=G2a63b10FAAAAAHgABAA

In Reply to Paul Korenkiewicz:

I need to design/a "belt" of sorts; basically a thin flat strip with a tab and slot on either ends that will be assembled around a cylinder with the tab pulled thru the slot, with an obvious overlap. I can model the flat version and then an installed version with separate features and then usea family table to turn features on and off as needed BUT, I am wondering if there isn't a more elegant way to accomplish this... Maybe I could modela flatsketch of the shape, thenwrap that around a cylinder and then use both sketches tocreate theinstances, but how do you handle the overlap? Any thoughts, comments or recommendations will be welcomed...

thanks in advance...

gdt
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

I did something very similarwith a v-belt application a while ago
TimMcLellan
6-Contributor

Mike,

I am not sure if these fit your situation but we have made available two
UDFs for both commercial and educational version of Pro/E (WF5+) of roller
chain and welded chains. They were developed to support FIRST and do not
include mechanized joints. However, both examples contain a ton of
engineering information based on the standards for each.

The examples may give you some additional ideas or information. Watch the
supplied videos (full screen) or look over the instructions for each. In
the video we illustrate (about the 3 minute mark) real time modifications
and the dynamic engineering feedback/data.

Paul,

I obviously don't know all of the details of your requirement, but
sometimes I've been able to model such things in their formed state as a
sheet metal part, and then create a flat pattern to unwrap the part. This of
course allows for the creation of an instance to place both configurations
of the part on a drawing.

Best Regards,

Scott Schultz

Principal Consultant

3D Relief Inc.

3700 Willow Creek Drive

Raleigh, NC 27604