cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

naming standard hardware

BPapp
2-Guest

naming standard hardware

We are building a library of standard hardware to use, AN3 bolts and NAS washers etc. There is plenty of discussion on naming convention though. For example, an AN3-5 Bolt, should the model (in a family table) name be exactly the physical part name (an3-5.prt), or should we suffix the part name ".xyz" (an3-5.xyz.prt) to avoid possible conflict with any other hardware (legacy, or from other customers) who may have also built a AN3-5 Bolt. I don't want to make the name any more difficult that it needs to be, but I see benefits to the extension. How do other companies handle this? Thanks, Bruce
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
DELETEME
1-Newbie
(To:BPapp)

What I've done at the last 2 companies I've created hardware libraries for, is the generic has a prefix of: "L-G_", and the instances have the prefix "L-I_", and then I had a system where the filename described the fastener type, size and length. Now, that gets kid of lengthy, and I had to do that for my current company because they didn't have a part numbering system for fasteners. the first company created a P/N for every part (including fasteners), so it was very easy to make filenames in that case. The prefix's allow for easy searching and displaying in both a IntraLink and/or PDMLink environment (Workspace/Commonspace etc.), or a Windows environment.
avillanueva
22-Sapphire II
(To:DELETEME)

We had purchased a mil spec library from a company called ParaCAD many years ago. I do not think they are still around but we choose to use the exact milspec part number as the filename. So nas1352c.prt would be the generic and nas1352c04-6.prt would be an instance.

Antonio, that is one reason we want to "personalize" our library, so in a file sharing situation we do not have duplicate names. The downside to this is, if I want an AN3-5A I need to type in our added filename also(eg AN3-5A_ATS). Thank you both, one argument per side... I will wait and hope a few more users weigh in. Bruce
BPapp
2-Guest
(To:BPapp)

The decision was made at a higher pay level than me, we're going without any unique identifiers. I'll let you guys know how it works out in the long run. Thanks for your insight. Bruce
Top Tags