cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

plastic part with multiple insert options

slyman
1-Newbie

plastic part with multiple insert options

So I have a plastic (inj molded) where I have 8 different option for connector options exiting one wall of this part. Rather than create 8 parts with 8 drawings, whats the best way to handle this? Family tables using merged parts?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:slyman)

Welcome to the forum, Stephen.

You can make the features (cutouts) extrude cuts in the model and use the family table to turn on only the features you want in each version. This makes the generic look kind of funny, but you could add a wall back in at the end to make it truly "generic". Each family table version would exclude that wall.

In the drawing, you can add each model (instance) for the different views you want for the detailing. Easier to do in a single drawing so you don't have to redraw the base part. There are many techniques to do component feature options in drawings but company policy make this cumbersome in some instances.

And there are options in using simplified reps... let us know if you want more info on that. Not as useful as family tables at higher level assemblies since it is only a single model where family tables represents multiple models.

Please please please - not simplified reps for configuration control!

It's like George Foreman and his sons, all named George, but all different.

If the only difference is something that is unique to each part, then create the generic and entries for all the instances. Open each instance and model the appropriate features there. The features will be automatically be added to the family table and be automatically suppressed in the generic and all other instances.

Future work should be handled in the generic to keep the model tree sane.

If the features become complicated I prefer to group them per instance and then the family table ends up with a diagonal of Y's on a field of N's, one column for each group, no matter the complexity of the construction of the features.

slyman
1-Newbie

Excellent. Thanks for the replys. Family tables worked great. Modeled each connector opening with all its features then grouped them before pulling into table. Worked like a champ.

New question -

On the drawing I now will have up to 8 different part numbers to control.

Q - Whats the best way to create a table/matrix on the drawing that calls out the part numbers and descriptions I added iin the family table?

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

I tend to make tables on the fly. I still approach all my drawings old school.

I suppose you can make some kind of repeat region table to account for all the FT instances in the drawing.

dschenken
21-Topaz I

Top Tags