cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

"Edit Definition" option not available for parts of assembly

EG_8584873
4-Participant

"Edit Definition" option not available for parts of assembly

Using Creo 8.0 and WC 12.

I have an assy that was created a while ago.

Some parts and sub assys are editable, but some are not.

Any suggestions on the subject?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EG_8584873
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

So, after a lot of guessing, I found out that the questionable assy had a family members and those members that I was not able to edit definition were defined on the family member level/ When switched to an instant level assy, edit definition function was available. Thanks you.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:EG_8584873)

Not enough information for an informed answer.  Can you provide a screen shot of the issue including the tree?

My best guess from given description - Are the parts read only features?

There is always more to learn in Creo.
EG_8584873
4-Participant
(To:kdirth)

Screenshot 2022-10-13 145314.jpg

sub assy that have a yellow triangle ( outdated placement) does not have "edit..." function, so as one part on top of the firsy sub assy.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

My best guess would be that everything is "locked" in workspace. Or "released" or in some other non-modifiable  state.

EG_8584873
4-Participant

So there are 14 members of that assy, subassy and parts. 2 subassy and one part are not editable, while the rest of them are...

EG_8584873
4-Participant

My advanced engineer that has more permissions for WC was able to fix it. There were some missing ref. So probably one of WC glitches... 

Thanks for looking into the problem

EG_8584873
4-Participant

No, I was mistaken, assy was not fixed. I brought it out of WC in case what @StephenW mentioned. I deleted questionable components, assembled them back in different order...same result...NOT editable. Lost, never saw it in my 25 years of ProE/Creo modeling.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

@EG_8584873  So you should "unmark" the one post as that solution, since it wasn't really the solution.

So exactly what is it doing? If I click a part that is locked in the workspace, I don't get an edit definiton. You can also see that the part is locked in the workspace. I don't get an edit defintion on the component because the assembly is locked in the workspace.

In the workspace, there is also a locked symbol in the general status column. These are locked because I don't plan on modifying them and also because they are "released" in our "state" scheme.

StephenW_1-1666099923503.png

EG_8584873
4-Participant

Files and assy are not locked. Both menus that you show on your screenshot are limited to only few of options. 

I called PTC application engineer and he dd not have an answer, so I just wonder if anybody else experienced the same thing.

Looks like that guessing does not work here.

EG_8584873
4-Participant

Here is a screenshot of one of sub assy.  

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If you export (or backup) one of the assemblies to  the hard drive, does that change the options you have? That might help determine if it is a windchill thing or a model thing.

You should open a tech support case with PTC. No offense to the application engineer but they are not always the best for troubleshooting problems.

EG_8584873
4-Participant

So, after a lot of guessing, I found out that the questionable assy had a family members and those members that I was not able to edit definition were defined on the family member level/ When switched to an instant level assy, edit definition function was available. Thanks you.

Top Tags