cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

"Printing PDF"s vs "Save As" pdf - which is better

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

"Printing PDF"s vs "Save As" pdf - which is better

Late to the game of printing/saving pdf's. Is one of these better than the other? Or do they do the same thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:Dale_Rosema)

They are different. You need to do a test of each option and compare the printed results.

The Save-As uses internal code to create the PDF. The Print option uses the system PDF printer code.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

They are different. You need to do a test of each option and compare the printed results.

The Save-As uses internal code to create the PDF. The Print option uses the system PDF printer code.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:BenLoosli)

Thanks for the heads up on differences. One thing so far, how do keep a number centered inside a balloon when "Saving As"

Saving As

Dale_Rosema_0-1660148550658.png

Printing

Dale_Rosema_1-1660148634910.png

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I use "stroke all fonts". It usually gives a better looking PDF. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

@StephenW wrote:

I use "stroke all fonts". It usually gives a better looking PDF. 

Just realize that the PDF file size can increase significantly by stroking everything, especially if there are large tables or repeat regions with lots of text.  My preference is to only stroke non-TrueType fonts.

TomU_0-1660566498012.png

Also check these two options:

TomU_1-1660566578854.png

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:TomU)

This is from the quick export to PDF.  Note that our default font in Creo is a TrueType font.

TomU_2-1660566761426.png

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

What do you consider to be a large file size?

After the conversion over the weekend, I only have 5 files out of 16k that are above 1,000 KB and 32 between 500-1,000 KB.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I think you need to compare the same file exported with the setting active or not. The only time i have PDF file size issues is on large, multi-page drawings. 

TomU
23-Emerald IV

It's not just file size, it's also the PDF creation time and the performance when moving around and zooming inside the stroked pdf.  I don't have a good 'real' drawing available at the moment, but here are the results from a quick test drawing I threw together.

TomU_0-1660588437794.png

Sample drawing and output from each of these methods is attached.  This is from Creo Parametric 8.0.4.0.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Reading through this discussion:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/System-Administration/Switching-from-Stroked-Fonts-to-True-Type-Fonts-Drawings-amp/m-p/692911

It talks of the pains of switching over to "true type fonts" (TTF's). I am only on Creo 4, Have these issues been resolved? What about later releases?

... and also through this product suggestion:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Creo-Parametric-Ideas/Add-option-to-change-and-save-the-default-PDF-export-settings/idi-p/464380

TomU
23-Emerald IV

For the most part, yes.  It helps to use automation to more easily update things like drawing options and detail options.  (We use SmartAssembly, but mapkeys could be used as well.)

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@Dale_Rosema wrote:

What do you consider to be a large file size?

I've seen PDFs in the 50 - 70 MB range, caused by stroke all fonts and containing large amounts of text and dimensions.  I've also seen PDF generation take so long that the publishing jobs would fail.  Both of these issues were eliminated by switching to only stroking non-TrueType fonts.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

We have not converted to TTF. 

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I prefer to print to PDF. Others in my company uses the save as/export option.

Years ago, when we first started generating PDF files, the save as option would crash on my large assemblies. So I'm biased by my experience. I've tried it since and it doesn't crash anymore but I can't get over my preference! I do have my setup well defined for print to PDF so its just easier for me to continue using my method.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III
(To:StephenW)

Same but new question:

What's the difference between SaveAs and Export?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

SaveAs let's you choose the file type (PDF), set the file name, then change any of the PDF settings.

Export puts you into a preview mode and requires you to manually open the PDF settings if you want to save them before setting the file name and exporting.

As far as I can tell, there is no difference in the file created, it's just a different workflow and whether or not you want to see a preview before saving.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Thanks. I was wondering that, but since there was a difference between SaveAs and Printing a .pdf, I didn't want to get stung by something else changing.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

I would like to thank everyone who help me learn the difference between the various  .pdf outputs the last few days:

@BenLoosli 

@TomU 

@StephenW 

'Sup Dale!  I usually create a PDF with truetype fonts (Arial), and print that from Adobe.  It seems to work out well.  Best of luck!

Top Tags