cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

"greater than or equal to" symbol

IanEdwards
1-Newbie

"greater than or equal to" symbol

Can anyone tell me how to get this symbol into some text on a Pro/E drawing?
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
21 REPLIES 21

What do you mean by getting it into a text? In a note?, before a dimension text line? or Inside a repeat region? Insert a note and write the text. Edit the dimension and in the second tab write the text before the @D You might need to specify a little bit further for better suggestions

Define a symbol for "greater than or equal to" ensure it is rescale while define and insert into drawing wherever you need.. Chander
CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:BalachanderVenu)

Such a symbol exists in your "symbols" folder under your Pro E loadpoint. In WF 4 it is in a subfolder called cadam_symb, and the filename is sym301.sym. If you can find this on your machine, I would save this symbol to a custom symbol pallette so it is easier to find. There is also a less than / equal to symbol in there... and several others that may be helpful.
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:CBenner)

Depending on how you are setting up the note you could also insert it using character map.

Chris, Thanks for pointing out where some of these special type symbols are located. We have also always looked for a greater than and equal to or less than and equal to symbol. The only thing I found with these, as I just looked at them and put them into a drawing, is they are set to a FIXED SIZE, so they cannot be re-sized. Dennis

you can redefine the symbol and add attributes so that you can rescale as you wish. -chander

Allow me to clarify my original question. I want to insert this symbol into the body of some text (i.e a note reading "assembly force ≥ 1Kn") I don't want to use a custom symbol for this as I think it's a messy way of doing it. Yes the character map would an obvious choice, but I can't find a font within Pro/E that supports the use of this symbol. If I create a text note and enter "assembly force U+2265 1Kn" then I just get a "?" symbol in the place of "≥".

To get the greater than symbol try selecting it from the symbol font in character map. In ProE type Assembly Force {1:greater than symbol} 1Kn. For the greater than symbol paste it from character map, it should turn into what appears to be a superscripted 3. Select the text line and you should be able to individually select the text groups "Assembly Force", "greater than symbol (superscripted 3 at this point)", and "1Kn". Select the greater than symbol and change the text style to symbol. Try this and see if it works.

Thankyou Kevin, yes that worked.

"Chris Benner" wrote:

Such a symbol exists in your "symbols" folder under your Pro E loadpoint. In WF 4 it is in a subfolder called cadam_symb, and the filename is sym301.sym. If you can find this on your machine, I would save this symbol to a custom symbol pallette so it is easier to find. There is also a less than / equal to symbol in there... and several others that may be helpful.

CBenner
5-Regular Member
(To:StarrWalker)

Not that I have ever found. That would be too easy. Where would the challenge be in that? KIDDING!
Chris Benner
Autodesk ® Expert Elite

That's what I figured...thanks for the reply.

Starr and all who have written here, I saw that you responded to this question, as I had also done so earlier on, but since have found an easy solution to this. It can be done by adding in the < or > from the keyboard when adding a note, and then UNDERLINING the individual pieces of text. When adding your line(s) of text to your note, add in the note then go back to the PROPERTIES for the note and add in the brackets and numbers as shown below before and after the < and/or > symbols: Original typing of note: EXAMPLE OF > AS WELL AS < SYMBOLS CREATION Then select the note by double clicking on it and in the NOTE PROPERTIES window, change the note so it now looks like the following: EXAMPLE OF {1:>} AS WELL AS {2:<} SYMBOLS CREATION The numbers (1 and 2) will update to what is needed for line numbering after you save the note. Now after the note is on the drawing, if you do a Format / Text Style you can INDIVIDUALLY PICK the < and/or > symbols and now choose to have then UNDERLINED to get the results you are looking for. Dennis

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Hugo-KTM)

There is actually a much, much simpler solution to this specific problem (≥ symbol on a drawing).  Simply copy the Windows "Arial" font to the "<creo loadpoint>\common files\text\fonts" folder and then set the config option "intf2d_out_pdf_unicode" to "yes".  Now use the Arial font on the drawing and any Unicode character you want (from that font.)  [You can use the Windows "charmap" from a run command to see what's available.]  The drawing will display correctly and the PDF will output correctly.

Hugo-KTM
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

Tom Uminn wrote:

set the config option "intf2d_out_pdf_unicode" to "yes".

In which Creo versions is this (hidden?) option supported?

TomU
23-Emerald IV

It's not a hidden option.  It was added at the following releases:

• Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M260
  • Creo Parametric 2.0 M140
  • Creo Parametric 3.0 M020
mender
6-Contributor

It kind of already is.  We support fonts that employ Unicode character codes, both TTF (and OTF, which is a TTF flavor) and .fnt (Creo stroked/stick fonts).  The solution is to use a font that has the desired glyph for the character codes you want to use (as per the 'Use Arial' suggestion previously made).  If you want to ask after having some specific Creo font expanded (or a new one defined) to include more characters, we can contemplate doing that.  Right now, the Unicode standard can accommodate over a million glyphs, and has definitions for about 100k of these, and more are added from time to time, so we'd probably have to define which (sets/ranges of) glyphs we're talking about.

Hugo-KTM
11-Garnet
(To:mender)

Hi Matthew Ender‌,

is it possible to define glyphs for Unicode code points in .src files (compile_font.exe, decompile_font.exe)?

I use the Creo 3 Installation and Administration Guide as a reference and in the section "UNICODE Font Support" in appendix C there is some mention of out-of-locale characters for certain PTC fonts; When I look at the corresponding font source files (.src) I dont's see Unicode support. Everything seems to be limited to 255 code points (I do not exactly know how the codeset fits into this, except that I can switch to codeset 4 inside a text by prefixing it with 0x01 and postfixing it with 0x02 in the text). What I know is that defining a " code 8990 2300" in a .src file does not work.

Why would I like to define this myself? See my comment for Support Unicode once for all to include Chinese, Russian, Japanese etc.

Also: using the isolatin.ndx font results in "Zwiebelfische" (single characters inside words that clearly belong to another font) with German texts (umlauts, Creo 2).

I would like to see support for the following symbols in .src files (PTC line fonts):

‎00B1  PLUS-MINUS SIGN

‎00D7  MULTIPLICATION SIGN

‎2032  PRIME

‎2033  DOUBLE PRIME

‎2044  FRACTION SLASH

‎2013  EN DASH

‎2014  EM DASH

‎2104  CENTRE LINE SYMBOL

‎2212  MINUS SIGN

‎2245  APPROXIMATELY EQUAL TO

‎2248  ALMOST EQUAL TO

‎2260  NOT EQUAL TO

‎2264  LESS-THAN OR EQUAL TO

‎2265  GREATER-THAN OR EQUAL TO

‎2300  DIAMETER SIGN

‎2316  POSITION INDICATOR

‎232D  CYLINDRICITY

‎232F  SYMMETRY

‎2330  TOTAL RUNOUT

‎2332  CONICAL TAPER

‎2333  SLOPE

‎2334  COUNTERBORE

‎2335  COUNTERSINK

‎23E4  STRAIGHTNESS

‎23E5  FLATNESS

‎25A1  WHITE SQUARE

‎25CB  WHITE CIRCLE

‎2B21  WHITE HEXAGON

Why?

1. Entering the Unicode symbol for diameter results in the representation of an unknown character in Creo.
  2. The multiplication sign and the en dash for example can creep into your notes if you copy the standardized designation from a DIN ISO standard.
  3. Creo does not know about the Unicode symbols for geometric tolerances.
mender
6-Contributor

I'm afraid I'm not expert in the matter.  I know <loadpoint>/text/japanese/sigma.src is one case of a stroked font using multibyte char codes.  Though I suppose that I don't know whether the char codes -> glyphs mapping is Unicode-based there.

The suggested list of expansions to the .fnt fonts is welcome, and I would suggest you post it as a Product Idea, I think this forum calls it?  The thing that lets us gauge support for an idea by letting people vote it up if they'd like it.

sigma.src uses codeset 1, which is not documented in the Creo (3.0) Installation and Administration Guide (Font Definition section).

" code 41377 a1a1"

" code 62628 f4a4"

Top Tags