cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

remove part of the thickness of a wall in sheet metal

DennisRehmer
8-Gravel

remove part of the thickness of a wall in sheet metal

To all,

I have a situation where I have a sheet metal part with two 90 degree bends (approx. .31 thick and .625 wide 1 inch to the bend radii) and I need to have "machined" off a small section (.063 deep) across the width removed. So there would be about a 1 inch x .625 inch area that would be .063 thinner than the rest of the part.

I have tried several different types of walls and extrusions, and nothing will allow me to do this. I cannot convert the part to solid, as I have flat patterns in a family table that I am using on a drawing.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. the strange thing is if i add a hole, it allows me to pick a depth for the hole and it works.

Dennis J Rehmer

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Put the bent part in an assembly and then do an assembly cut to remove the material.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:DennisRehmer)

Using extrude, turn off the "remove material normal to surface" toggle.

Are you talking about a situation like this:

THINNED_SHEETMETAL_EXAMPLE.png

if so, extruded-cut with blind-depth will only work if you toggle off the circled "Remove Material normal to surface" option...

Top Tags