cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

stamped sheet metal parts

ptc-4644930
1-Newbie

stamped sheet metal parts

I am trying to come up with a simple solution to modeling stamped or hydro formed aircraft ribs in sheet metal. Actually modeling a rib is pretty simple. The catch is modeling a rib that will also accept a flat pattern feature. I've tried using die and punch form features which will fold flat until I add in any sort of bend relief features or even extruded holes. Forming isn't something new so I would have to guess there is a simple way to accomplish this in Pro E. Please feel free to comment with any thoughts or suggestions. Thank you

Dennyribs.jpg

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Try suppressing extraneous features that do not contribute to the flat pattern or move them after the flat pattern feature. Extraneous here means the formed ribs that do not require unfolding.

You might consider adding the reliefs in the flat state.

Obviously you need to be careful how you bind dependencies to features you want to suppress or move tot he end of the tree (after the flat pattern).

I used the sheet metal back in 2000i. Its been awhile but that is what I remember of it.

Thanks for the response. These are all things that I have done already. I also posted this question on another forum and have gotten some mixed responses. Mostly they've said that I shouldn't worry about creating flat patterns for stamped parts. They say the vendor should be responsible for that and that stamping sheet metal is much different than bending sheet metal. While I agree they are different and supplying the vendor with a flat pattern may be risky, I just have a hard time believing that it's not possible in Pro.

ANyone else have any suggestions?

Denny

Top Tags