cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

sweep protrusion using 3d curve

mathew.palazola
1-Newbie

sweep protrusion using 3d curve

I want to use "insert sweep protrusion" using a "3D" curve as the trajectory.

I have in the past always done this with intersected curves, but sometimes that's a lot of work.

I thought this would be easier if I just defined a set of points and put in a curve using them.

I defined a set of points using Offset Coordinate System Datum Point Tool.

Then I put in a curve using "through points".

When the points are all co-planar (on the YZ plane in my pictures), the Insert Sweep Protursion command accepts the curve

and the protrusion comes in fine.

Once I make the points and curve not co-planar, ProE will not accept the curve as the trajectory and gives the message

"Specified trajectory is not valid. Please reselect."

This really sucks.

Is there any way to get ProE to accept the 3D curve without having to do intersected curves?

9 REPLIES 9

A variable section sweep can handle non-planar curves.

/Bjarne

I can't even get intersecting curve function to work.  Very frustrating

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:johnweaver)

Give us an idea of what your intersecting curve is. Screen shot or model or something. 

Intersecting curves are relatively easy but endpoint and extents of the curves along with complex curves can get pretty tricky

Dunno what you're doing, but I got a swept solid using both a curve projected onto a surface and a curve thru points.  Then again, I'm on creo 3, and I remember getting the "invalid trajectory" for the old sweeps.  When they bundled it into one command (Yay, smart move - unlike the ribbon...), it seems to be as robust in taking trajectories as the old Variable Section Sweep was.  so, I'm guessing you're on an old version of Pro/E, and as such bfrandsen's reply should work.  In the future, you should post what version you're using.AA-SWEEP1.jpg

I found a work-around, but it requires points.  Because of various reasons (financial and others) I am required to use the Semi-Rigid Cable Advisor module in CoCreate to make a 'bend' file for our coax cable benders.  There are several ways that we receive data from customers.  

1.  They send 2D pdf and we  have to create model and determine sharp intersection points and enter into CoCreate with bend radius and create a Cocreate model which allows us to make a 'bend' file.

2.  Customer sends STP - We use datum curves that intersect to determine intersection points, we enter in and follow rest of step 1.get us ready for step 1.

3.  Customer sends in bend file.  - obviously this is best.

I have been using  Creo/Wildfire/Pro/E for a long time.  I have been using CoCreate for 2 months (and would like to do away with it.)

The best way would be to have a bender that can take an STP from any software and create what the bender needs to form.  I don't have $200k to donate so that we can purchase such a machine.  

PS......In Wildfire (Or before) you could simply draw a curve on one plane, draw another curve on another plane, pick both and set a tangency between curves and you had a 3D curve...............unless that was in Solidworks, but i think it was Pro/e.  Was MUCH MUCH easier.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Currently in Creo, you can generate your 2d curves and then use the intersect command under the model tab  (editing area of the model tab

intersect.jpg

yes, but with the REAL geometry I entered, it would not intersect the curves.  The particular case had a 171 degree bend between the two different 2D curves.   would not intersect

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Post a screen shot of the dialog box of the the point dimensions in cartesian from the default cs.

Post a pic of how the curve runs thru the points.  I had zero problems, but.....

Top Tags