cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

total component quantity in component drawing

MichalLukac
4-Participant

total component quantity in component drawing

Hello,

Let's have a component (part or assembly) assembled in different assemblies. All these assemblies are subassemblies of top assembly.

I would like to add to the drawing of the component a note about total quantity in top assembly (to sum quantities of it in all subasms).

Is it possible to do that?

Thanks,

Michal

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal,

I can imagine only the following "workaround":

1.]

The drawing of the component has to be multimodel one. It has to contain the component and top assembly, too.

2.]

To show total quantity in top assembly, you have to create repeat region related to top assembly and apply filter to hide all, but the specific component.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Michal,

I can imagine only the following "workaround":

1.]

The drawing of the component has to be multimodel one. It has to contain the component and top assembly, too.

2.]

To show total quantity in top assembly, you have to create repeat region related to top assembly and apply filter to hide all, but the specific component.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
mbonka
15-Moonstone
(To:MartinHanak)

Hello

agree with point 2.

Set BOM table like following:

ATTRIBUTES:

- no-duplicates

- recursive

Use a BOM table FILTER like following:

&asm.mbr.drawing_number  == ABC

&asm.mbr.drawing_number  == XYZ

BOM filters in generall:

&asm.mbr.parameter_name == desired_value

Hope it helps.

Milan

Ok thank You Milan and Martin,

I hoped it is possible to do some better way. But to add huge top assembly model to every small drawing ... I don't like this much.

mender
6-Contributor
(To:MichalLukac)

It is unfortunately necessary, if you want this number to update to the workflow:  In a fresh session, load the top assembly, assemble some new parts/subasms, save, close session.  The information of the new components only exists in the top assembly, so clearly you'll need to have it in session.

Now, if you don't need the number dynamically updated, but were willing to do that manually, you could make a parameter in the part to hold the information.  You could then make a 'verification drawing' where you had the top-level BOM, with an extra column or two, maybe a relation to say 'if the rpt.qty and the asm.mbr.totalqtyintop do not match, set a local parameter rpt.rel.needsupdate to "THIS NEEDS UPDATING".

Which is a bother to have a manual process, but gets you out of needing to load the top assembly when retrieving your part drawing.

Another alternative would be to include the top assembly in your part drawing for the region as mentioned above, and to make a Drawing Representation with instructions:  1) Erase all views, 2) Display all views of <the part>.  If you retrieve in this drawing rep (File>Open>[drawing]>Open Rep) then the top assembly will not be retrieved, and the region will be 'frozen'.  That way you could work efficiently and only update the table when needed.  However, you will have to distinguish File>Open and Open Rep in your workflows.

Hope one or another of these possibilities is useful!

MichalLukac
4-Participant
(To:mender)

hello Matthew, the idea with verification drawing is good I do it this way..

thanks

Top Tags