cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

trouble opening drawing of renamed part

vdevan
14-Alexandrite

trouble opening drawing of renamed part

hi, 

I have an assembly and i created part drawings for all the parts in the assembly.

after creating the drawings i renamed a bunch parts using file>manage file>rename.

Now, i cannot open the drawings as they are mapped to the old name. It is hard to digest that, creo does not ask to find the part that was renamed. (i assumed that it will - my mistake)

is there a way to get around this 

Thanks in Advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Just rename parts with there old number and then you can open the drawings.
once your drawing sucessfully open, rename drawing and parts in session so that it will not create same problem in future.

Correct....EXCEPT, if the parts are used in a LOT of other assemblies and/or drawings, ALL of those upper level files will need to be in session for it to work.  If it's just that one dwg, then it'll work.

Hi,

if you can't remember original part name, then you can open drawing file in Notepad++ and find part name inside the file somehow.

Martin Hanák

It will give you an error message when you try to open the drawing that will have the name of the file that is "missing". I've done this to myself more than a few times.

Keep in mind that when you rename a part, there is a "saving protocol" as I call it. You have to open the assemblies that contain that part and any drawings that reference that part. Only when you have all those things in memory can you rename the part. Then, you need to save all the referencing assemblies and drawings. I do this all the time when starting a new design based upon an old one.

Top Tags