cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Analysis of wooden frame

dm-3
1-Newbie

Analysis of wooden frame

Hi,

Is there any way to analyse wooden structures?

We have side frames conncted by a centre frame and bolted together. I just want know the procedure to apply wood, mesh, element & analysis type to be used.

--

Dhinesh.

6 REPLIES 6
DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:dm-3)

Hi,

There is ofcourse. But it all depends on how accurate analysis will be. Depends a lot on the way you plan to connect wooden beams and quality of wood. Its not exactly homogeneous like steel. Ive done this before but mostly to check where majority of load will go in structure.

Here is a pic of structure that was tested in Creo Simulate:

1.jpg

Hello, Davor,

Have you tried to do an analysis on the wood using Orthodrope isotropic or cross tables with wood characteristics.

Could you make concrete measures eg an arrow with different ways of calculating and the actual piece.

Or as a metal strain equal in all directions.

Cordially.

Denis.

bois_ortho.jpg

materiau-aniso.jpg

COMPORTEMENT_ELASTIQUE_BOIS.jpg

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:DenisJaunin)

Hi Denis,

I used wood properties as equal in all directions. I did not use any other type. Because I cant really verify how beam was cut and in which direction wood lines go.

Worst example is MDF which is more compact at the outer surfaces and "softer" in the middle.

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite
(To:DavorGranic)

Well Steven google is your friend

Just found info/characteristics on type of wood I needed and then downgraded it some just to be sure.

You can find characteristics of wooden beams from some manufacturers. Just use lowest one you find as reference.

Davor has the right answer here. Mechanica supports orthotropic material definitions, which you could use for wood. That being said, wood can be difficult to model and you won't be able to account for defects (such as knots), so it's best to use your analysis to gain insight on load paths and reaction forces/moments at joints.

gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:dm-3)

Hi Dinesh, did the feedback to your post help you? I believe the core of the answer is, that there is no specific procedure, meshing or analysis type for wood, you just have to use an appropriate material definition. And there were a couple of helpful suggestions how to find it. Gunter

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags