cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Constraints for L-shaped lever

jurgen.roobroek
1-Newbie

Constraints for L-shaped lever

Hello,

Can somebody tell me how to constraint an L-shaped lever? It is supposed to rotate freely in the bearing in the corner point, the load is applied in the bearing at the end ofone leg and the lever is driven in the bearing at the end ofthe other leg.

I created a cylindrical cs1 in the rotation point and constraint everything except theta direction. I applied a bearing load in one of the leg bearings, but don't know how exactly to constraint the other leg bearing.

With my method, I see only stresses and deformations in the leg with the applied load.

Can somebody help me please? Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

I attached a small skecth, maybe this clarifies my problem:Bearing load F in first bearingConstraint in second (corner) bearing: R and Z around cilindrical csConstraint in third bearing: to be determinedIt is possible to calculate the necessary force in the third bearing and apply this, butI am wondering if it can be simulated without doing this.Another possibility isa linear constraint in the third bearing(perpendicular to the applied load), but thisprevents that end of the arm from rotating, which is incorrect.Thanks

Jurgen,

I would not use a constraint at all, but an additional bearing force that
holds the lever in static equilibrium. Having parts in static equilibrium is
almost always a better way to constrain a model. I try to only use enough
constraints that eliminate rigid body motion and ensure that there are no
stress concentrations at the constraints.

Let me know if you have any questions about this approach.

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew Ian Loew

Director, Application Engineering, Customer Service, and Technical Marketing

Comet Solutions, Inc.

248.797.6055 Cell

505.212.0830 Fax

matthew.loew@cometsolutions.com

www.cometsolutions.com
www.linkedin.com/in/matthewloew

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags