cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Creo 3.0 lic. manager, LMGRD or LMADMIN? Whats the diff?

msteffke
12-Amethyst

Creo 3.0 lic. manager, LMGRD or LMADMIN? Whats the diff?

Very confused here.   Why am I given a choice, whats the difference, and whats the default, and whats recommended?  After reading assorted docs for hours I still don't know what to do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

Mark,

both license manager run as service on license server.

1.] service FLEXlm server for PTC

running processes ... lmgrd.exe (2x) and ptc_d.exe

you can manage this service, when you are logged on license server, only

2.] service lmadmin_ptc

running processes ... lmadmin and ptc_d.exe

you can manage this service from any workstation via FLEXnet Admin Web Interface

Personally I use FLEXlm server for PTC, because it is available for a long time and I know it very well.

MH

Martin Hanák

I gave a talk in 2014 on license management. The last part of that covers the new license manager.

This is a link to the complete talk on the old PTCUser site. The talk is also someplace on this site, just not the full powerpoint or pdf.

http://portal.ptcuser.org/p/do/sd/sid=2464&type=0

It has advantages.

• You get a website to manage the license
  • You can update the ptc.opt file without stopping & starting the license
  • You can return borrowed licenses early

I didn’t have complete information on returning borrowed licenses at the time. Subsequent calls with PTC has provided additional information on that.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS31332

The error "lmremove: You are not a license administrator. (-63,199)" is probably because the version of the license server is not of the latest version (11.11.1)

Changes in server.xml file i.e.

licenseServer adminOnly="true" .................... licenseReclaimAllowed="false" to:

licenseServer adminOnly="false" ................... licenseReclaimAllowed="true"

is already incorporated in version 111.1.1 , however for 11.10.1 it has to be done manually , hence the error.

This has to be done prior to borrowing the license.

• At user/client end
  • Set the environment variable “ENV=PRO_ALLOW_EARLY_RETURN=true” in the .psf file for application (Creo 2.0 Parametric, Creo Elements/Pro 5.0) prior to checking out (borrowing out) the license from the server

Just little note .

When FLEXnet 10.8.6 64-bit (LMGRD) is installed, it is possible to return borrowed licenses early, too. No additional configuration on server side is necessary.

In Czech language environment, it is necessary to modify parametric_borrow.bat file by adding set PRO_LANG=english line at the beginning of the file.

MH

Martin Hanák
msteffke
12-Amethyst
(To:msteffke)

Thanks guys these are all the correct answers.  Even tho I am most familiar with the old LMGRD I have been pretty unimpressed with it.   I am going to go with the new web based version, especially since my host server will be offsite.   Thanks for the replies. 

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags