cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Creo Organization - Your Comments Please

Tmetcalf
Emeritus

Creo Organization - Your Comments Please

Good day everyone,

This is a suggestion from @TomU and I believe a great opportunity.

What are your thoughts of his ideas?

Best,

Toby

"Creo" and "Windchill" are way to broad and span way to many, completely unrelated products.  The current setup causes lots of confusion (Creo Parametric vs. Creo Direct and PDMLink vs. WPA).  I would strongly suggest that the top level categories align with the broader PTC product areas.

• Creo CAD
  • Creo Simulate
  • Creo View
  • Integrity
  • Servigistics
  • Thingworx
  • Windchill PDM & Process
  • Windchill Quality

At the next level down, break out into the more popular/common products.  Again, users come to the community to interact about a product.  I think it's very important that the community reflect this reality (and help get content in the right area.)  For example:

Creo CAD

• Creo Layout
  • Creo Illustrate
  • Creo Options Modeler
  • Creo Parametric
  • Other Extensions

Windchill PDM & Process

• Windchill FlexPLM
  • Windchill MPMLink
  • Windchill PartsLink
  • Windchill PDM Essentials
  • Windchill PDMLink
  • Windchill ProjectLink

Within each of these products we add labels to help separate content by subject matter.  For example, here are my suggestions for Creo Parametric labels:

• 2D Drawings
  • Modeling
  • Automation (Relations, Pro/Program, Drawing Program)
  • Customization (J-Link, VBAPI, Toolkit, etc.)
  • Sheetmetal
  • Mechanism
  • Assembly

Finally, since there are too many PTC products to give every one of them their own discussion board, it might make sense to keep the Creo Extensions as just labels until the traffic justifies a dedicated board.  For example:

• Creo Advanced Assembly Extension (AAX)
  • Creo Advanced Framework Extension (AFX)
  • Creo Advanced Rendering Extension (ARX)
  • Creo Behavioral Modeling Extension (BMX)
  • Creo Collaboration Extensions
  • Creo Complete Machining Extension
  • Creo Complete Mold Design Extension
  • Creo Computer-Aided Verification Extension
  • Creo Design Exploration Extension (DEX)
  • Creo Distributed Batch Extension
  • Creo ECAD-MCAD Collaboration Extension
  • Creo Expert Moldbase Extension
  • Creo Flexible Modeling Extension (FMX)
  • Creo Intelligent Fastener Extension (IFX)
  • Creo Manikin Extension
  • Creo NC Sheetmetal Extension
  • Creo Piping and Cabling Extension
  • Creo Prismatic and Multi-Surface Milling Extension
  • Creo Production Machining Extension
  • Creo Progressive Die Extension (PDX)
  • Creo Reverse Engineering Extension (REX)
  • Creo Tool Design Extension

(Sorry, I don't know the three letter abbreviation for all of these.  Also, it might make sense to drop "Creo" and "Extension" from the label names.)

The end result is something that looks like this (for just Creo CAD):

Creo CAD

• Creo Layout (discussion board)
  • Creo Layout (ideas)
  • Creo Layout (blog)
  • Creo Illustrate (discussion board)
  • Creo Illustrate (ideas)
  • Creo Illustrate (blog)
  • Creo Options Modeler (discussion board)
  • Creo Options Modeler (ideas)
  • Creo Options Modeler (blog)
  • Creo Parametric (discussion board)
    • 2D Drawings (label)
    • Automation (label)
    • Modeling (label)
    • Administration (label)
  • Creo Parametric (ideas)
    • 2D Drawings (label)

• Automation (label)
    • Modeling (label)
    • Administration (label)
  • Creo Parametric (blog)
  • Other Extensions (discussion board)
20 REPLIES 20
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Tmetcalf)

Agreed.

+1

Under Creo CAD, also add Creo Elements Direct

They NEED their own home to not be confused with Creo Parametric, there are little to no similarities other than the name.

Thank you @StephenW

What about Creo Direct?  It's different yet, is it not?  Is it considered an extension of Creo Parametric?  I imagine the UI and command structure is different than both Parametric & Elements Direct. 

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
DanAdler
12-Amethyst
(To:StephenW)

@StephenW wrote:

Agreed.

+1

They NEED their own home to not be confused with Creo Parametric, there are little to no similarities other than the name.

@StephenW @Tmetcalf I believe Creo Elements/Direct should standalone and not be a part of the Creo CAD community. Besides the Creo name these products have nothing in common. The Creo Elements/Direct community should have its own breakdown into sub topics such as Modeling, Annotation, Model Manager, Administration, etc.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DanAdler)

It's tough trying to figure out which top level categories we really need on the community.  The PTC Products page is very long and doesn't align well with how the community is used.  Looking at the amount of "stuff" available under "Creo Elements Direct", it seems like it could be captured with a single discussion board and some product specific labels:

Creo  (category)

• Creo Elements Direct  (discussion board)
    • 2D Access  (label)
    • 3D Access  (label)
    • Advanced Design  (label)
    • Advanced Simulation  (label)
    • BOM Editor  (label)
    • Cabling  (label)
    • Drafting  (label)
    • Suite  (label)

Keep in mind that you can search, filter, and subscribe to labels, so if you wanted to only receive information for "Creo Elements Direct Drafting", that would be entirely possible.

Are there other labels you would want?  System Administration?  Installation?  Customization?

DanAdler
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Here is what I would recommend. I welcome other Creo Elements Direct users to chime in.

Creo  (category)

• Modeling  (label)
    • Annotation  (label)
    • Drafting  (label)
    • Model Manager  (label)
    • System Administration  (label)
    • Installation  (label)
    • Customization  (label)
    • Other  (label)

@DanAdler wrote:

Here is what I would recommend. I welcome other Creo Elements Direct users to chime in.

Creo  (category)

• Modeling  (label)
    • Annotation  (label)
    • Drafting  (label)
    • Model Manager  (label)
    • Installation  (label)
    • Customization  (label)
    • Other  (label)

This structure looks acceptable, but a little more specific with the Drafting label since ME-10 does operate differently than Annotation module. Also, add a label for Sheet Metal.

• Drafting-ME10 (label)
  • Sheet Metal (label)

Mike

Creo Elements Direct 18.1

@mmaenpaa wrote:

@DanAdler wrote:

Creo  (category)

• Modeling  (label)
    • Annotation  (label)
    • Drafting  (label)
    • Model Manager  (label)
    • Installation  (label)
    • Customization  (label)
    • Other  (label)

This structure looks acceptable, but a little more specific with the Drafting label since ME-10 does operate differently than Annotation module. Also, add a label for Sheet Metal.

• Drafting-ME10 (label)
  • Sheet Metal (label)

Mike

In addition to previous list, should probably also add where prduct wishes get discussed and voted on.

• Creo Elements Direct Ideas

Mike

DanAdler
12-Amethyst

@TomU @Tmetcalf

Are there still plans to create this Creo Elements Direct Product Area (or Discussion Board? I'm not really sure about the proper terminology)? I've been waiting patiently for this to be implemented and from what I can tell it has not yet. I looked today at the Issues Tracking document and did not see anything regarding this topic. The Creo Elements Direct user community was fairly active on the old site and since the migration the number of posts related to Creo Elements Direct has pretty much slowed to a halt. Hopefully if we get a dedicated area on this new site the users will come back.

Good day @DanAdler

Thanks for asking the question - we are actively working this internally as well as with the Lithium team.  We want to make the older content easy to find as well as correctly label it moving forward.  We will provide exact updates when we have them.

Thanks again for the question.

Best,

Toby

If you really would take this seriously you had already established the independent area.
Creo elements directModeling earlier CoCreate Modeling is just a stepkind of Creo and is not further supported?

Or not?
Make it or forget it but give us a clear sign.

(Please write info in your Signature) Sysinfo: I use Creo Elements Direct /Drafting, /Modeling and /Modeling Express 8.0 ( formerly CoCreate- SolidDesigner and Drafting or ME10 )
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:StephenW)

@StephenW wrote:

Agreed.

+1

I just want to stress that the list above is not exhaustive.  It was just a concept of the proposed structure.  I do have a list of everything I can post if it will help.  That list does include the rest of PTC's products, including Creo Direct.

+1 from me also

P.s. why can't I give any kudos in this topic? I can give kudos on all other posts...

Good day @HamsterNL

Not sure why your could not give Kudos before, please try now.

Best,

Toby

Are the "Labels" that subdivide the major topics something that is assigned by the creator of the particular question? I ask because there are only 2 entries with Manufacturing as their label, when I know there are many more than that. I've asked at least 10 such questions myself. Is the label equivalent to the "Tags" that can be added?

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:KenFarley)

No.  Labels are created by the site administrator (@Tmetcalf) and are used to separate content.  Optimally there would be only one label per post and selecting a label would be mandatory.  The end goal is to be able to subscribe, search, and filter content by the specific information you're interested in.  For example, say you wanted to post something about 2D drawings in Creo Parametric.  Once this is setup, you would post in the "Creo Parametric" discussion board and use the label "2D Drawings".

• Creo (Top Level Category)
    • Creo Parametric (Product Level Discussion Board)
      • 2D Drawings (Label used within the "Creo Parametric" discussion board to group content)

This structure (once set up) would allow you to search, filter, and subscribe to Creo, Creo Parametric, or just 2D drawings (if you wanted.)  Make sense?

DanAdler
12-Amethyst

@TomU I like the setup you described and I guess I had misunderstood the use of labels a bit. In this case Creo Element/Direct (as well as all other CAD products) should be a "Discussion Board" in the Creo Category.

@TomUminn wrote:

No.  Labels are created by the site administrator (@Tmetcalf) and are used to separate content.  Optimally there would be only one label per post and selecting a label would be mandatory.  The end goal is to be able to subscribe, search, and filter content by the specific information you're interested in.  For example, say you wanted to post something about 2D drawings in Creo Parametric.  Once this is setup, you would post in the "Creo Parametric" discussion board and use the label "2D Drawings".

• Creo (Top Level Category)
    • Creo Parametric (Product Level Discussion Board)
      • 2D Drawings (Label used within the "Creo Parametric" discussion board to group content)

This structure (once set up) would allow you to search, filter, and subscribe to Creo, Creo Parametric, or just 2D drawings (if you wanted.)  Make sense?

Sorry not sure if I should be adding the Quotes to replies but it is hard to follow converstations in the flat (not indented) view

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:DanAdler)

Totally agree... on both points.  Smiley Happy

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

Okay, so with the switch over to Lithium there is a whole pile of "labeling" that needs to be sorted out, to make the posts go to their proper bins. Someone is going to need a lot of coffee.

JariElomaa
13-Aquamarine
(To:Tmetcalf)

I don't mind any labeling scheme you come up with as long as I can still subscribe an RSS feed on the top categories: Everything on Creo and another with everything on Windchill.

I like to stay informed about everything 🙂

Top Tags