Has anyone else found while running a Non-Linear analysis with contacts that Creo Parametric Simulate loses the network license?
The license server needs to be on a separate computer on the network..
With the license server installed on the workstation performing the analysis the error message goes away and the analysis appears to run up to 20 minutes faster.
Have any of you seen this message?
Solved! Go to Solution.
what do You use? Creo Simulate 3.0?
PS: I have it in Creo Simulate 3.0 only:
I would think it's not the type of analysis you are running, but rather how long that analysis is taking. Whenever I've run very long simulations, the licenses are continually being "lost" and then "found". I think it has to do with the fact that even though the CPUs are pounding away on the calculations, if Creo deems itself as "idle" due to a lack of mouse movement or menu picks, it releases the license back to the "license pasture". It then re-acquires it when the simulation does something that requires a license, etc. It probably does slow everything down just from the network traffic.
I've also found that if I have the disk space available, running the big cases is much faster if I have the files on my local machine, rather than on a shared server, 'cause the massive amount of data read/write operations is not going to the server.
I think Kenneth broadly has it right.
Worth being aware though that the Mechanica solver uses its own licence (typically MECSTRUCENG), which is separate to both MECSTRUCUI (when you've entered Applications -> Simulate) and the base Creo licence. (Note that you can actually close Creo completely, and the analysis will continue running.) So it's not Creo (xtop.exe) that's losing the licence, but Mechanica (msengine.exe). Might be worth reviewing the licence timeout settings on the server?
And absolutely agree that Mechanica temporary (and results) files should be on a local hard drive, not across the network - copy the results to a network location afterwards, if you need to. Although you're getting about 1.5:1 CPU time to elapsed time which looks respectable, so you're probably already doing that.
You can easy test: You install for example Creo Simulate 2.0 M080 (my professional release),
then analysis is runing.
I´ve seen that a couple of times, I use Simulate 3.0 Academic Version. I have the license installed on the same workstation, for me It doesn´t affect the simulation. It happens after several hours after you started the analysis or sometimes randomly.
I have tested with the same assembly on Creo 2, Creo 3, and Creo 4 with all giving me the same lost license message.
Working with PTC top level tech support they set me up with a temporary license so we could install a temporary flex 3 license server on my local workstation. When Creo using the local flex 3 license server on my work station the error message go's away and the analysis runs faster.
I believe they have a issue with msengine dropping the license during certain analysis.
Creo it's self appears to not lose the license.
PCT feels it's an issue with our network setup.
I believe it's related to how Simulate communicates with the flex 3 license server.
please test Creo 2 M080 or older, bevor M100.
My release don't have this problem, never.
PS: example for Creo Simulate 2.0 M080:
ca. 10 h analysis
i can upload of fea-data