cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Drilling

Manikandan
7-Bedrock

Drilling

Is that possible for drilling If bore diameter and tool diameter are same ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gkoch
1-Newbie
(To:razmosis)

Yes, it seems to be related to solid tools, using auto depth calculation.

If you specify a blind depth, it will just follow the depth as specified.

But with Auto Depth, it will have to compare the diameters (even if you select TIP and not SHOULDERS).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yes, the drill is going to follow the specified axis regardless of the size (or even the existence) of the hole. That is my experience anyway.

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

It will follow the hole/bore if the drill is on size or smaller than the hole. I run into an issue with solid tools(drills) that are built on size but the engineer makes the hole to a rounded number like a .4375 diameter drill and an engineer makes the hole at .437 forgetting to add the .0005 it will not drill that hole because the drill is too big . I ask the engineers to always round the hole diameters up whenever possible to like .438 diameter.

If they don't do this (which is quite often) I then have to change the model myself or force the drill through the hole. I don't like forcing the drill because it is more work for me to drill to a depth because I have to take extra time to measure the depth and add it to the drill or find or make a surface do set the depth to.

This is a big source of frustration to me because of engineering ignorance!!

Steve

OK, that must be an issue with using solid tools then. If you are not using solid tools, I am pretty sure you can put any size drill into any given hole size.

gkoch
1-Newbie

Yes, it seems to be related to solid tools, using auto depth calculation.

If you specify a blind depth, it will just follow the depth as specified.

But with Auto Depth, it will have to compare the diameters (even if you select TIP and not SHOULDERS).

Thank you for your information..

Manikandan

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags