cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Entries on new Volume Rough Sequence

BillChapman
12-Amethyst

Entries on new Volume Rough Sequence

With the old "classic" Volume sequence it is possible to set the parameter ROUGH_OPTION to ROUGH_AND_PROF and obtain a helical entry for the roughing portion of the sequence by setting options such as HELICAL_DIAMETER & RAMP_ANGLE.  Then when the profile portion of this same sequence begins LEAD_IN would create a nice arc to start the profile portion of the sequence .

Is it possible to obtain this with the new Volume Rough Sequence?

It seems that setting CUT_ENTRY_EXT HELIX gives the helical interpolation into the volume for the roughing, but then the profile plunges straight in.  Setting CUT_ENTRY_EXT LEAD_IN allows the profile portion to run correctly but you loose the helical interpolation on the roughing portion.  Any ideas how to get both like we can with "classic" Volume?

4 REPLIES 4

I am still using the old classic volume sequence for most of my volume style sequences since the parameter addition of Min_retract_distance and Lift_tool_clearance with the constant load it give a nice semi trochoidal tool path with out much effort. I helix into the bottom of a pocket and let it go Nice path and reasonably quick.

pocket.JPG

pocket_parameters.JPG

Yes - the old "classic volume" works fine, in fact we have been using it still because of small issue like these.  I would like to stop using this so that all sequences would use the new style interface and we would be (mostly) done with the menu manager.

I thought the intent is that the "ROUGH" sequence is a new sequence better suited to "high speed machining" style sequences. 

The "VOLUME ROUGH" sequence was supposed to mimic the old "VOLUME" sequence but with the new menus.  This is one case where it simply works differently.  Not sure if this is a bug, or if this is somehow supposed to be an improvement?  I see it as a functionality loss, and I do not see the benefit of the new implementation.

Bill, I started this answer Friday and got interrupted. I have been doing 3 sequences to get around what you are talking about. The first sequence as above to rough the pocket. I then do a bottom sequence with the parameters set to spiral and rough only and a helix entry with wall stock on so the cutter doesn't hit the side walls. If you try and finish the pocket with the parameters to spiral and faces_only it seems to try and be efficient and avoid any holes in the pocket which I suppose is good if you have a large pocket with not many holes but it's crazy when you have a 2" X 3" pocket with 10 holes all over the place.and the faces_only parameter will only helix in on the first cut then retracts and just plunges after it encounters one of the holes or another region to mill.

then I finish the walls in the third sequence with the parameters set to follow_hard_walls and profile_only with a lead in and lead out to set cutter comp. Unless there is a void or gap in the wall  then it has to retract and jump over the void. so the I do a mill volume or trajectory so I can get a continuous wall cut.

This is something that has been a problem for a long time as far as I am concerned. should not have to work this hard to rough and finish a simple pocket.

Well after playing around with this I do understand the potential benefit, which is you can remove a retract that has always existed between the roughing and profile portions of the sequence.  With this you lose the ability to use cutter comp on the "profile" portion of the sequence.

I would have expected that with all the parameters that exist in an nc sequence, there would be a parameter setting that makes this work like volume has worked for the last 10+ years, and setting for the new "lose the retract" mode.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags