cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to hide one PC from another

gchampoux
1-Newbie

How to hide one PC from another

I need to run a test from one PC (A) where another PC (B) is unavailable (down, broken, hosed).
Specifically the shares on B.

However, B is a server that I cannot actually shut down because of the user impact.
Is there something I can do on PC A so that PC B "doesn't exist" or at least that B's shares are unreachable?
Again, I cannot change anything on B.

I tried adding an entryin into the hosts file, but that didn't work.
Windows knows to use the active directory, even when the entry in hosts is different.

And I cannot take A off the netwotk, because other PC's need to be accessable form A (during the test) while B is inaccessable.

Gerry

2 REPLIES 2

As I mentioned in my original message, I had already tried that.

It will cause ping to fail.
But access to shares still works (\\servername\sharename).
I assume that Windows always uses the Active Directory when using UNC
notation.

Gerry

Thanks to all that replied.
This was the anwser that worked best for me.

http://www.serverintellect.com/support/windowsserversecurity/ipsec-blockip.aspx

Gerry

In Reply to Gerry Champoux:

I need to run a test from one PC (A) where another PC (B) is unavailable (down, broken, hosed).
Specifically the shares on B.

However, B is a server that I cannot actually shut down because of the user impact.
Is there something I can do on PC A so that PC B "doesn't exist" or at least that B's shares are unreachable?
Again, I cannot change anything on B.

I tried adding an entryin into the hosts file, but that didn't work.
Windows knows to use the active directory, even when the entry in hosts is different.

And I cannot take A off the netwotk, because other PC's need to be accessable form A (during the test) while B is inaccessable.

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags