cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to insert a machine for 5-axis milling

wvolders
3-Visitor

How to insert a machine for 5-axis milling

Hello forum!

I am trying to step up my game with Creo now that i'm getting the hang of 3-axis milling.

I've seen in several video's that they use a function called "machine play" which kind of looks like NC check but with a moving milling machine.. I've searched high and low but couldn't find that button in my creo setup and i could not find a guide online for uploading and setting up the machine.

Could you guys help me out with this one?

Kind regards!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dbrainsky-2
5-Regular Member
(To:wvolders)

If you have already defined and tested your mechanism designed milling machine assembly be sure to add a datum coordinate specifically named MACH_ZERO where the Creo mfg models will be attached to the machine.

Next use Edit Definition on the Workcell. Select the tab for Assembly. Select a corresponding datum coordinate from the mfg database. Use the glasses in this tab to see if your mechanism machine is displayed. If no be sure to use the config.pro option pro_mf_workcell and that it points to where the mechanism assembly is located.

Once this is done correctly the Machine Play option will be in the model tree when you use the right mouse button on the Operation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

You can do a help search for Machine kinematics that will get you started. At one point several revisions ago there was a tutorial for doing that sort of thing with a 3 axis Haas machine as an example. I think it's pretty much a dog and pony show for the amount of effort you would put into building a 5 axis machine that really doesn't enhance any gouge checking that can already be done without the machine.

Just my opinion.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for commenting!

How do you manage the gouge check with 5-axis movement?

Including the toolholder and fixture only?

Or do you use another program?

With kind regards,

Witse

SteveLucas
13-Aquamarine

I don't have any 5 axis machines here at this time. But for gouge checking I use both the PTC gouge check for a quick check as well as NCSimul  for checking which has the machine kinematics which I rarely have turned on. I think it just adds clutter to the gouge check process but I suppose if we had a 5 axis machine

it would be of more use.

dbrainsky-2
5-Regular Member

If you have already defined and tested your mechanism designed milling machine assembly be sure to add a datum coordinate specifically named MACH_ZERO where the Creo mfg models will be attached to the machine.

Next use Edit Definition on the Workcell. Select the tab for Assembly. Select a corresponding datum coordinate from the mfg database. Use the glasses in this tab to see if your mechanism machine is displayed. If no be sure to use the config.pro option pro_mf_workcell and that it points to where the mechanism assembly is located.

Once this is done correctly the Machine Play option will be in the model tree when you use the right mouse button on the Operation.

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I tested some features but unfortunatly i'm stuck and i can't figure it out.

i've got to the point where "machine play" is an option. But when i press the button all i get is a short glimps of the setup and then it closes again. No errors are shown unfortunatly..

Maybe my kinematics model isn't correctly done? (i do not have a lot of experience with it).

Or could there be something else i'm missing?

With kind regards,

Witse Volders

Top Tags