cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to position an ellipse object in a elliptical slot

JGuest
1-Newbie

How to position an ellipse object in a elliptical slot

Hi,

Does anyone know how to postion an extruded 3d ellipse into a same size elliptical slot object.

Thanks,

Jason

2 REPLIES 2
lwick
1-Newbie
(To:JGuest)

Hi Jason

I imagine that there are better ways, but here is one that works and maybe it will spur others to offer easier solutions.

How to position an ellipse extrusion within a matching elliptical hole

First create a Workplane on the each part, project construction lines, and mark the center point and a line that is perpendicular to the ellipse that runs through the center (e.g. construction point, and Infinite Line Perpendicular to (pick ellipse edge and the center point)).

Goto Part and Assembly menu and select Position, Select Objects (start a list and pick the part and corresponding Workplane) then move by 2 points center to center.

Then on the Position menu select the Methods Other pulldown box and pick Rotate, right click and select Point and Dir and pick the center point again and facenormal. Pick Fix Dir/Axis and the button Ang. By 2 Pts – then select the intersection of your ellipse and perpendicular line for the moving part, and the corresponding point on the fixed ellipse (trial and error, you only have two options)

I'll have a document with images and a hopefully a video walkthrough available on PTC CoCreate Support Center next week. If you have a valid support contract then please contact me at 800-477-6435 and I will walk you through it.

Regards,

Len Wick

lwick
1-Newbie
(To:JGuest)

A new article on PTC.com has been created to address this issue, including screen shots and a video walking through the process - enjoy!

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/freefull_cskdb.jsp?&im_dbkey=116634&im_language=en

Regards,

Len

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags