cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Slow Performance with NAS

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Slow Performance with NAS

Creo 2, M230

Anyone experience exremely slow performance with Creo & data stored on a NAS? Creo & Windows explorer lock up regularly for minutes at a time and saving large data sets takes a ridiculous amount of time.  It's likely not a Creo specific issue, but Creo seems to exasperate the problem.  Might be because of the size of the data vs. office applications, but I seem to get more issues with Creo running than without.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dgschaefer)

Antivirus software running on the volume where you are saving CAD data to?

NAS backup images/snapshots being taken on the volume as the data is being written?

Finally got an answer to this.  No antivirus and backups happen overnight, I believe.

--
LinkedIn
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dgschaefer)

When we ran NetApp NAS devices, the Waffle OS is always doing snapshot backups 24/7. While they should not be an impact, they could. I would check the frequency of the snapshots and what folders are being backed up by snapshot. I agree that the tape backups are done overnight, that is how we did it, too.

What is your network speed? Any latency issues?

Speed shows as 1.0 Gbps, not quite sure how to check latency and every google result deals with internet speeds & latency, not LAN specifically.  According to Wikihow, running Ping 127.0.0.1 -n 20" is supposed to check for local hardware problems.  It came back <1ms repeatedly.  Is there another test I should run?

--
LinkedIn

Still having issues with this.

Our outside IT consultant came in and tweaked some settings on my laptop (I'm not sure what) which seemed to help for a few days, but the issue remains.  I believe that he made tweaks on the NAS as well, but I'm not certain.

Creo will just stop responding for 2-3 minutes at a time.  It seems to correspond with having Excel or possibly Word open with Creo.  When Creo locks, Excel & Word will lock along with any Windows Explorer windows.  Outlook still works fine and I can browse the web fine.

I'm typically working in a folder with a lot of files (2,700 at this writing) and purging seems to help some, but not much.  I can't tell if it's a placebo effect or real.  It's maddening.

--
LinkedIn
Top Tags