cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

VBAPI: assemble components to coordinates

Spiff
6-Contributor

VBAPI: assemble components to coordinates

Hi,

how can I assemble components to coordinates like x,y,z and Rx,Ry,Rz and set the constraint to fixed with the VBAPI?

Do I need to use IpfcTransform3D? I can't get it to work.

A different approach could be adding a coordinate system with such kind of coordinates and constrain the component to this csys, delete the constraint and set one to fixed.

I'd like to have the same functionality adding components like in the PDMLink structure tab and editing the coordinate values within excel for automating a huge assembly structure.

I have working code from the examples for assembling components to default or setting different constraints.

I would really appreciate it If you can you help memoving the components.

Thanks!
David

3 REPLIES 3

Ok - Shameless plug here... (because it is nearly 100% what you are looking for using Coordinate Systems)

Here are a few examples of how Nitro-CELL does it (from excel):

Assemble Model

Assemble Model Wildcard

Assemble All Root Model Wildcard

AssembleAll Model Wildcard

AssembleAllRoot Model Multi-Wildcard

THAT being said - I *think* you are on the right general path... However, I don't know why you would want to just add models in space...  Typically, assembly operations have purpose (e.g. assemble components to skeleton / sub-skeleton, etc.)

Hope this inspires a bit... or encourages a different approach.

Dave

Spiff
6-Contributor
(To:DavidBigelow)

Hi Dave,

thanks for your answer.

Nitro-CELL actually seems to be a JAVA tool that has an interface to Excel.

And from what I saw they also use the approach to assemble on existing coordinate systems as you also said.

That would just be a workaround because I don't want to have several csys and the constraints in the model so I need to add them, define the constraints and delete them. It would be nicer to just add the component into the group, move them to where they supposed to be and set them fixed.

The general purpose of this is that constraints for top level assemblies are oldschool 🙂

No, just in our case. We have several same top level assemblies just sitting on different positions and therefore we are now switching from classic constraints to position definition via the PDM system which is Windchill PDMLink in our case. For controling assembly positions within Windchill they must be set to fixed and may not have any other constraints.

David

MJ_0919
6-Contributor
(To:Spiff)

Hi!

Did you achieve it?

I'm having the same problem, I will appreciate if you can help me.

Thank you

Top Tags