cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

View name to be added

pdiletti-2
11-Garnet

View name to be added

Hello everybody.

I have already completed a drawing with views, dimensions, tolerances, annotations ...

Now I'd like to add the view names to all existing views.

I modified the config option 

make_proj_view_notes = yes

but the names are not added.

1 - Is it valid only for new Views ?

2 - Is it valid only for new drawings ?

3 - Is it possible to obtain the view names on existing drawing views ?

4 - Is it possible to customized the view name ? Instead to have the format "View Top1-Top1" I need to write only view name "Top1" .

Thanks in advance 

Pierluigi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:pdiletti-2)

There are some view properties operations that will add the view name to an existing view.

Maybe you can utilize one of those with a mapkey to get the view name to show up on existing views.

Try changing a projection view to a general view (apply the change) then change back to a projection view. It will add the view name if you have the option turned on. Maybe you can find a way to incorporate a similar change like that in to a mapkey that will make the drawing updates much quicker.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Are you using the "=" sign in the config file? Don't do that.

Check to see there isn't a config.sup file that overrides the setting.

Hi , for sure the config option is correctly written, without "=".

Anyway it doesn't work !

This option has been set on config.sup.

Thanks

Pierluigi

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I wouldn't add that option to the config.sup. That makes it non-overidable. Maybe that is what you want but seems like it should just be a standard config.pro option you would include in your default config.pro and then if a user needed to create a drawing without view names, they could turn it off temporarily or as needed.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I just tested it. It takes seconds to test.

I started without the option. New drawing. Made 3 views. No view names.

I added the option set to yes.

No view names were added.

I made new view. View names were added to the newly created views.

In the drawing setup, you can control auxilary view names but I don't see an option to control other types of view's names. (option aux_view_note_format)

Yes

the point is that it's not possible to keep all views already defined and add the names.

Consider several drawings, each of them with several views full of dimensions, tolerance, symbols,...

I'm afraid I'll have to re-create everything !

Pierluigi 

It would be very bad for existing drawings to be affected by a user's config options. If someone had manually created the names under the views and later a user turned on a naming system, then they would overlap, potentially being unreadable.

I completely agree BUT the customer WANTS to convert all drawings in their standard and format

SO WE HAVE to modify all documents already released with this new view layout including the view name !!

Contact PTC with a requirements document and see what they will charge to develop a program to fulfill this need.

Also, it works best to state your actual requirement up front and not after everyone else has beat their heads against a vague description of the problem.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

There are some view properties operations that will add the view name to an existing view.

Maybe you can utilize one of those with a mapkey to get the view name to show up on existing views.

Try changing a projection view to a general view (apply the change) then change back to a projection view. It will add the view name if you have the option turned on. Maybe you can find a way to incorporate a similar change like that in to a mapkey that will make the drawing updates much quicker.

Thanks

That's a good compromise.

It's a manual operation but it allow us to save the work already done (view, dimensions, ...)

Thanks again.

Pierluigi

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Automation.  This would be pretty simple with something like SmartAssembly.  I imagine you could use J-Link or Visual Basic as well.

pdiletti-2
11-Garnet
(To:TomU)

Hi

we're going to install and to use SmartAssembly just in next weeks.

I'll test it !

Pierluigi

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

1) Config.pro options do not change existing views, only new views added after the option is set.

2) New or old drawings, it is for views on any drawing.

3) They should be stored with the view, but not sure how to display them.

4) Yes, modify the name format.

Top Tags