cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

individual dual dimension control

meng1
4-Participant

individual dual dimension control

Have a situation where I would like to be able to control the use of dual dimensioning on selected drawing dimensions in CREO 4.0.  Is this possible and if so can you provide the step needed for a new CREO user?  THanks in advance!!

4 REPLIES 4
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:meng1)

Add it as a note.

Dimensioning standards, such as ASME Y14.5, specifically eliminated dual dimensioning because it is a poor practice.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dschenken)

@dschenken wrote:

Dimensioning standards, such as ASME Y14.5, specifically eliminated dual dimensioning because it is a poor practice.

@dschenken, do you have a reference for this statement?  I don't disagree, and I'm aware the verbage was removed from the standard, but I've never seen anything that actually says why.  I've love to see the written justification (and pass it on) if it exists.  Thanks.

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:TomU)

It wouldn't be eliminated because it was a good practice.

The frustration of the Y14.5 committee is they don't publish reasons, for reasons they won't get into.

The general explanation on D&T forums is that, due to precision problems in conversion, dual dimensioning leads to two interpretations of the limits and this conflicts with the rule that there not be multiple interpretations of the drawing requirements.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:meng1)

I am using Creo 2, but as far as I know the dual dimensioning is either on or off. You can't set it for specific individual dimensions.

Top Tags