cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

multiple workpieces

ptc-4392950
1-Newbie

multiple workpieces

Hi,

we started using more than one workpiece in NC-complete, to program multiple operations in one cam file. but the material removals sometimes cannot handle this correct, but for example after a restart everything is back ok. but the more sequences there are, the more these material removals go in error.

does anyone have any experience with using multiple workpieces?

Greetings,

Arno

9 REPLIES 9

I am talking about Turning operations.

I am currently working with a file that has 6 reference models and a corresponding 6 workpieces. I set them up in an array. I do them all in the same file because they are all part of the same fixture, and the speeds, feeds, filenaming conventions, etc. are the same for each.

I space the parts far enough apart that any material removal simulation on one of them does not affect the others. Are your workpieces overlapping so that an operation that should only affect one is cutting into another?

The price I pay for spacing my parts far enough apart to avoid strange "operation on part 1 cuts part 2" stuff is that when I reset the view scale (or when Creo does it itself), things are pretty small. I also have to have a bunch of coordinate systems, at least one, but usually more for each part.

Are you also talking about Turning NC sequences? or milling... because mine are all overlapping, with the same Zero point.

in the meantime I got an answer from PTC and it seems this is not realy supported to get correct material removals in this situation.

but Material Removals in general is a feature that needs to be enhanced!

any screen caps for examples ?

SnapshotTurning.JPG

very nice I see op1 in your pic what happens in op2 or more correclty what do the errors look like in your work peices? and are you using automatic material removals or constructed?

well, the programmer did not save the try out with the 3 workpieces.. so i just placed one now to show what the set up was.

we always use automatic material removals. but appeaently PTC says it is not supported, so it's no use spending anymore time, because the problems only occur when having a lot of sequences and thus we will not try it again

Hello Arno,

I read the email you received from PTC Support (no I am not from the NSA, but from PTC Support, though not the one who worked on this) and it says that "if you can assemble multiple workpieces, it should be supported".

Further it asked you to check whether the boundaries of the workpieces overlap, as this could potentially cause material removals to be applied to workpieces other than intended.

If you observe such failures in MFGs where the boundaries of the workpieces do not overlap, you should attach one of these models for further investigation to the support case.

If the boundaries overlap in the model, it might still be interesting to further investigate, unless it becomes obvious, how this overlapping relates to wrong material to be removed.

Currently the TS engineer is waiting for your feedback to the case.

support mail:

"Material Removal cannot always handle multiple workpiece models in 1 mfi. Is this supported?

Hello,

if you can assemble multiple workpieces it should be supported.

Turning NC sequences intersecting workpiece boundaries can not be created on a manufacturing model with multiple workpieces

Best regards,"

Hello Gunter,

I recognized your name from earlier support mails.

I did not interpret the support mail as being a question so I assumed it was a concluding statement and thus did not reply to it anymore, since it described our situation.

My case is about Turning Sequences only and my workpiece models are all overlapping each other. (actually I am not the CAM programmer, but i do the support/research stuff in the company). For the moment he is too busy to have it another try, but I will make sure another example will be created and was then planning to come back to this and send the file to support to investigate.

Greetings

Announcements
Business Continuity with Creo: Learn more about it here.

Top Tags