cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

search_path not working

ba690d
1-Newbie

search_path not working

Hello, I am a college student with the student version of creo 3. After some time searching the forums, I have yet to solve the issue I am having, and would greatly appreciate some expertise.

I have been working on a cnc project for some time and simply have parts in 2 different folders, "CNC design" and "CNC z axis" that i want creo to search through. I have gone into config. editor and set a search_path to the full path of the cnc z axis folder and saved it to my config.pro that is saved in "CNC design" which is set as the default folder to open when creo opens. I also have a search path to C:\Users\Public\Documents, which is where some of my fasteners were saved, this search path works fine. I have also changed other config options such as display datums etc. and saved to the config.pro, and all of these settings are retained when I open creo.

However, when I try to create a search_path to the "CNC z axis" folder, it will work for the current session, but will no longer be in the configuration editor after closing and reopening creo. 

I have tried removing the spacings from the folder name, as well as adding single and double quotes to the name, none of which made a difference. I also tried creating a search.pro text document under the "CNC design" folder with 
search_path C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC Design
search_path C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC z axis

written into the document and created a search_path_file directed to it. This option didn't work at all, even upon regenerating the assembly, so I must have done something wrong. 

All I want is for creo to save my second search path to CNC z axis and be able to search through it every time I open creo. Looking at the drop down tab under config. editor, it shows that the config.pro I have been saving to is being opened by creo at startup, so I am pretty sure I am not just saving to the wrong config.pro. I would greatly appreciate some help with this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:ba690d)

Include location in double quotes as there are empty spaces. 

search_path "C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC Design"
search_path "C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC z axis"

Make sure search_path_file in config.pro is pointing to path to search.pro (including name) e.g. C:\XXX\search.pro

AND check the file extensions it needs to be .pro not .pro.txt (sometimes it happens when display of file extensions is not enabled.)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

Include location in double quotes as there are empty spaces. 

search_path "C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC Design"
search_path "C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC z axis"

Make sure search_path_file in config.pro is pointing to path to search.pro (including name) e.g. C:\XXX\search.pro

AND check the file extensions it needs to be .pro not .pro.txt (sometimes it happens when display of file extensions is not enabled.)

Here is the name of my search path

search_path "C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC z axis"

with or without " the search path works when I click on regenerate and my missing parts are found. However, when I close creo and open it again, the search path does not work and when I go into config. editor, that search path is no longer listed, despite all the other settings in the same config.pro working as expected. 

The path to my text document named "search.pro" is

C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC Design\search.pro

and in the config editor I have

search_path_file "C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC Design\search.pro"

I have also tried

search_path_file "C:\Users\brad\Documents\Pro Engineer\CNC Design\search.pro.txt"

which is what is chosen when I click browse and then the search.pro text file, neither method works, even when the model is simply regenerated, unlike the search_path method. 

Is it possibly a problem with the text document I have created named search.pro? Does it need to be saved as some particular format rather than a simple text document?

And regardless of the search_path_file issue, I should be able to save multiple search_paths correct?

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

As KSM mentioned, enable hidden file extensions to be sure your file is search.pro and not search.pro.txt.

It is a standard text formatted file.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If you are adding the search_path option and it is not there the next time you load creo, you are either not saving the config.pro or you do not have write access to that folder (this happens sometimes with the config that is in the program files folders).

Open the config.pro with the text editor and verify the search_path option is there.

You may also want to check that the config.pro you are editing is actually loading. click the down arrow as in the image below and make sure the config.pro file is in the list of loaded options files.

configprofiles.jpg

Thank you guys for your quick responses.

I have enabled hidden file extensions and you were right, my search.pro was search.pro.txt. I renamed the file to search.pro and now the search_path_file seems to work as expected. 

While my issue is solved, I am still curious as to why my search_paths are not being saved. The search_path_file saves to the same config.pro no problem, and the drop down menu shown in the picture does list the config.pro I am saving to. When I open up the config.pro text doc, all my other options are saved, except the last search_path I tried to create. 

It is not that big of an issue as the search.pro is now working, but I am curious why the 1 search path will not save.

Top Tags