cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Changing an assembly level of a component

IanEdwards
1-Newbie

Changing an assembly level of a component

I have a very simple assembly which I have created to illustrate my problem (see attached picture).

My question is fairly simple.....

I would like to know if (and how), I can restructure "PART_1.prt" so that it belongs to "TOP_LEVEL.asm" instead of "SUB_ASSY.asm"

In other words, I would like to make "PART_1.prt" a level 1 component, rather than a level 2 component.

I don't want to delete it from the SUB_ASSY and re-add it to the TOP_LEVEL, as this will destroy the dimensions in drawing of the TOP_LEVEL.asm

Best Regards.

9 REPLIES 9

You can just drag it out of the subassembly into the level 1 assembly then restructure or reorder if necessary. It will be removed form the sub assembly & added to the main assembly.

Hi Mike,

That seems like a nice idea, but it doesn't seem to work? I'm on WF4.

You should be a ble to drag the component on top of the top assembly icon & then it should deisplay a red arrow. Then from there it will be added to the end of the model tree & you can restructure as you want. I am on WF 5.0 but I dont remember it being any different. Let me know if this doesn't work for you & I can try to send some pictures.

You can try Edit, restructure, then select the part you want to move then select the assembly to move it to. This should work for you.

Yes Mike, perfect. Thanks very much !

No problem. I'm glad I could help.

Mike,

Tried that, but instead of the red arrow, I get the "not allowed" icon

tree2.JPG

Insert a dummy part ahead of PART_1...

I'm not sure if that will work, but then again, I'm still running WF4...

You may need to use edit/restructure. In your example, since PART_1 is the first component of the subassembly, you may also need to insert a dummy part before it to allow it to be moved, as the restructure command will not allow you to move the first part out of an assembly.

Top Tags