cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Creo Illustrate, Different line thicknesses when exporting an image with/without Page-Setup

Ramon_Bohne
12-Amethyst

Creo Illustrate, Different line thicknesses when exporting an image with/without Page-Setup

Hello,

unfortunately I have a next problem:

I just noticed that when I export images, the stroke widths are different when I make a display with and without page setup.

So far I have always exported images by fixing the model in the window and then setting the desired image width (e.g. 17.5 cm) with resolution 300dpi (118 dots per cm) when exporting. The result is an image with a pixel width 17.5cm x 118dpcm = 2065 pixels.

In the meantime I found out that it is more convenient to define a page size. And that you can define your own page sizes with the administration tool. So I defined a page with the dimensions 17,5x11cm and set it later.

When exporting the image I only had to set the resolution 118dpcm and I also got an image of the pixel width 17,5cm x 118dpcm = 2065 pixels.

So both images are the same size in the result. For both images the pen thicknesses Thick = 0,2mm and Thin = 0,1mm were set.

Problem:

The exported line thicknesses are different. The exported image with the predefined page setting 17,5x11cm has unfortunately much too thick lines.

Questions:

Am I doing something wrong?

I would like to work with page settings and have the line thickness I get when I export without page setup. What to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, if you want to change the viewing angle then you will need to create a new 2D figure.

The intention is that you set the desired view orientation (and ideally set the figure view) then create the 2D figure using the figure view.

This is then set for the 2D figure and does not update, but if you move parts, hide parts add annotations etc the 2D figure will update to reflect those changes.  

Hope that helps.

Adrian

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

In the 3D figures the line weights are shown in proportion to each other, adding a page shows the line weights in proportion to the page size.

This is why you are seeing a slight difference when not using a page.

For the most accurate line weights we would recommend using a 2D figure as this always shows the physical line weight values.

Hello agarland,

so I need to add a 2D image to each of my 3D images!? Is that the way you recommend me to do it (sorry for asking, but I need to define my further way of working)?

To be honest, I tried it and it works very well 🙂  And it also helps me to solve problems with partial views and break lines (that I can insert in the 2D image).

If I will work this way, it will also solve my request "Creo Illustrate Image arrangement, size and export" (April, 11.).

I have attached a picture of my Ci and pdf-file to show my very satisfactory result with an example.

With kind regards

Ramon

Hi Ramon,

Yes, the 2D figure functionality was added to enable users to both have true representations of line weights and also do any further "tidying up" they might want to do before publishing the final deliverables.

Remember that the 2D figure is still linked to the parent 3D figure and will update when changes are made in the 3D (either from a source file update or from direct edits in the 3D). Depending which version of Illustrate you are running there is also now an option to "Unlink" 2D figures s that they don't update.

Regards

Adrian

Hello Adrian,

I am working with Ci 9.1.0.0. Thank you for your tireless support. The next questions will come for sure 🙂

Related to this topic, one last question: it looks like the 2D-figure takes all the changes from the 3D-figure, except for updating the perspective view. When I rotate the view in the 3D-figure and save it, the 2D-figure does not change. Is this correct, or do I still need to trigger the view update somewhere?

Thanks and best

Ramon

Hi Ramon,

You're welcome, glad I can help.

No, rotating the view in the 3D figure doesn't trigger the 2D to go out of sync.

We figured that would just be far to restrictive on changes you can make in the 3D without affecting any child 2D figures.

Regards

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I don't know if I understood your answer correctly.

So the 2D figure does not change when I reorient the 3D figure in perspective view?

I would have to create a new 2D figure (and probably delete the old  one). Correct?

Best

Ramon

Yes, if you want to change the viewing angle then you will need to create a new 2D figure.

The intention is that you set the desired view orientation (and ideally set the figure view) then create the 2D figure using the figure view.

This is then set for the 2D figure and does not update, but if you move parts, hide parts add annotations etc the 2D figure will update to reflect those changes.  

Hope that helps.

Adrian

Top Tags