cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The community will undergo maintenance on October 16th at 10:00 PM PDT and will be unavailable for up to one hour.

Creo schematics design can not export components from two sheets in one xml

Vinayak_Patil
7-Bedrock

Creo schematics design can not export components from two sheets in one xml

I have schematics design created in Creo schematics 8.0. Some connectors are located on sheet 1 and some are on sheet 2. Wires are connected between this connectors using highway.

I have more than 3 sheets in this design and want to export selected components from two sheets in one xml.

While exporting this design if i select "Selected",  components from active sheet only gets exported although i have selected components from second sheet also.

I want components from both sheets in one xml but dont want to use "Export complete design" option.

Is their any other way to do that ? Or is it Creo schematics issue ?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:Vinayak_Patil)

Interesting - I will say it is the way Schematics handles selections.
I never tried selecting items on two sheets before and tried your scenario with selected items on two sheets with the same results - only the selected items on the selected sheet were included.
I then went back to change the selection and noticed that when I changed it with the normal selection (no CTRL added to add items), the previously selected items on that page were unselected but the ones on the other page were not affected.

My guess is that anything that deals with selection, only knows the items for the page you are presently looking at.
I tested that by trying to move items that had selections on two pages and the only ones that moved were on the present page.

Can you do exports for each page and import each one into one design in Parametric?  I am in over my head here since I don't use Parametric.

Can you make a temporary copy of your design and either move all the items onto one sheet or delete everything, then do the export.

I would definitely file a case with PTC (assuming you have support) AND post a suggested improvement that (either for this case or in general) operations that are done on selected items include the selected items on all sheets.  It might need to have a warning pop up when it finds that there are selected items on multiple sheets so that the person doesn't accidently do something like move or delete without realizing that they have something on another sheet selected.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BillF
13-Aquamarine

Interesting - I will say it is the way Schematics handles selections.
I never tried selecting items on two sheets before and tried your scenario with selected items on two sheets with the same results - only the selected items on the selected sheet were included.
I then went back to change the selection and noticed that when I changed it with the normal selection (no CTRL added to add items), the previously selected items on that page were unselected but the ones on the other page were not affected.

My guess is that anything that deals with selection, only knows the items for the page you are presently looking at.
I tested that by trying to move items that had selections on two pages and the only ones that moved were on the present page.

Can you do exports for each page and import each one into one design in Parametric?  I am in over my head here since I don't use Parametric.

Can you make a temporary copy of your design and either move all the items onto one sheet or delete everything, then do the export.

I would definitely file a case with PTC (assuming you have support) AND post a suggested improvement that (either for this case or in general) operations that are done on selected items include the selected items on all sheets.  It might need to have a warning pop up when it finds that there are selected items on multiple sheets so that the person doesn't accidently do something like move or delete without realizing that they have something on another sheet selected.

Thank you for testing on your side.

I checked by copying data in single sheet and create xml, it works but actually it is cancelling concept of using multiple sheets , highway in schematics if we cannot export multiple sheets out of total design into xml .

I will create case with PTC, but I dont know will PTC ever work on new ideas.

Thanks again.

BillF
13-Aquamarine

I have seen a big increase in PTC being willing to improve Schematics since Alex became the product manager.  
I think it is a good change but it also has a risk of accidently doing things that may have previously been selected on other pages for other uses.  It may need to only apply to apply to this function.

If you want more information on what people have done for issues and a stronger voice, join the Routed Systems Technical committee (https://ptcusergroups.ptcuser.org/organizations/category/Technical%20Committee)
It has monthly online meetings where people share information of tips, issues, and improvements.  Alex also listens to the discussions.

Hi @Vinayak_Patil,

I wanted to see if you got the help you needed.

If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution or please feel free to detail in a reply what has helped you and mark it as the Accepted Solution. It will help other members who may have the same question.
Please note that industry experts also review the replies and may eventually accept one of them as solution on your behalf.

Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please pursue the conversation.

Thanks,

Catalina
PTC Community Moderator
Announcements

Top Tags