cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Deleting Structure does not reduce size of PVZ files in Creoview

FM_10474863
6-Contributor

Deleting Structure does not reduce size of PVZ files in Creoview

I have a very large 14GB design.   I deal with sensors small things attached to structure so use a clearance filter to find it.  

Once I found all the supporting mounting structure i deleted all the unused structure using the tools edit structure.  I have tried both delete viewables as well as advanced delete.

There was no change.. 

I then deleted everything but 1 screw... Still a 14gb file... What gives I want to delete the actual items from the file not just a visible part number from the list. 

Please advise. 

6 REPLIES 6
BillRyan
15-Moonstone
(To:FM_10474863)

Have you tried save as to a new PVZ file after doing those steps to see if that makes a difference?  The save transaction in Creo View after editing structure has always been finicky for me.  There is also an additional save that sometimes occurs when you exit Creo View after performing transactions like this.  

FM_10474863
6-Contributor
(To:BillRyan)

I mean yes you could recreate it.. but the problem with that is it doesn't come over with all the markups and notations you may have done in the original document. 

If PTC got smart about being able to export that it wouldn't be an issue.

The silly thing is that hitting save doesn't really save the PVZ.  The only time it truely saves is when you close the file and it recompiles the PVZ document.

Thanks for trying to help though

BillRyan
15-Moonstone

You are asking for a requirement that is not possible.  You want to retain all your markups and notations that are tied to models in tree that you just deleted in the structure. Don't the models have to stay if you want to open the markups and annotations.  Maybe this is why those models are not getting deleted?  PTC always wants to protect the design...and if you are wanting to retain markups and annotations than I'd say the software is working as intended.  And PTC will too if you write a case.   

I agree with your concern about the time of save.  I've had crashes and lost all my work.  This is their design and I don't like it! 

One last thing you can also try is to use with RMB menu selection on the top level assembly/node:

1. collapse -> Unload branch Links option and / or Unload to take models out of session prior to save.  (This would be similar to the erase not displayed in Creo Parametric as Creo P works the same way, it exports out everything in session even though the model is not shown on the screen)
  2. collapse-unload.png

Hi @FM_10474863,

I wanted to follow up with you on your post to see if your question has been answered. 
If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the Accepted Solution. 
Of course, if you have more to share on your issue, please let the Community know so that we can continue to help you. 

Thanks,
Anurag

FM_10474863
6-Contributor
(To:anursingh)

No the issue still remains and has not been answered.  And someone from PTC needs to be answering this.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

To guarantee you will get an official PTC answer, you will need to open a support ticket. 

https://support.ptc.com/

Top Tags