cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Set and Save Creo Illustrate Transform Coordinate System

TomBurton
1-Newbie

Set and Save Creo Illustrate Transform Coordinate System

In a Creo Illustration3 figure, there is a particular assembly that I frequently need to rotate around a particular axis.

To do this, I have to Hide several pieces that are in the way, and change from my default orientation (all to get the axis accessible). I then select the assembly, select Transform, and the rotation ball comes up in a location other than what I want. I right click on the assembly, and select "Location". I choose Select Coordinate System and I get the little Select Coordinate System window. I hover the cursor over the axis loation until it shows in the Select Coordinate System window, then click OK. As desired, the rotation "ball" moves as desired, and I can rotate the assembly as I wanted.

Is there a way I can save and recall that Coordinate System with that Assembly? I frequently need to go through the whole sequence above, and it takes a lot of time (and yields a lot of frustration!).

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Tom Burton

1 REPLY 1

Well, I found a way to deal with this problem with one caveat (which I'll get to at the end)

Save and exit the Creo Illustrate figure. Do whatever you normally to to completely exit.

When you want to use the "saved" axes....

1. Open the same Creo Illustrate drawing.
  2. Select the same part or assembly.
  3. In the Home tab, select Transfom. You'll see that the transform ball indicates the original (unwanted) axes.
  4. In the Home tab, click on the little arrow to the right of the word "Location".
  5. At the left of the Part Properties window, select Location (the other choices are Appearance and Attributes).
  6. In the main area of the part Properties window, Note that for "Relative to" it says "Global". You might be able to leave it set to Global, or you might need to select Pick from Geometry (in which case it will snap back to Global!)
  7. The transfer ball is now where desired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Do hatever rotation you want to the part/assembly (use the transform ball or enter the desired amount in the Figure Rotation values).
  9. When the amount of rotation is where you want it, click Close in the window. The Part / assembly stays where you just moved it, but if you select it and select Transform, you’ll see that the ball has reverted to the “wrong” axes!

The caveat is that this will only work for one "new coordinate system" for a given part / assembly. You can't create several coordinate systems and select whichever onr you want for a particular use.

Top Tags