cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Sheet metal tangent lines on drawing views.

LarrySmith
5-Regular Member

Hello All,

Is it common to display your sheet metal drawing views with tangent line set to "None"? Is there an industry standard, company standard, or personal preference that defines this?

My years in design and drafting I have typically used "Dimmed" for tangent lines on views. I now have a request to not show the tangent lines for sheet metal views. I'm curious to hear what others use.

These are basic part 3 inch wide about 20 inch long with 1 inch 90deg bends. So it is not an overly complicated object.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

I'm also curious if there is a drawing standard on this topic.

My personal preference is to show them only in 3D (trimetric) views, because without these lines you cannot really see were the bends are.
I do not not show them in orthogonal views, since these lines do not really have any purpose. The lines only 'clutter' the views and they do not really add any extra info. I always learned to make drawings with as few as possible views, and as few as possible lines. The simpler the drawing the better the readability.

Top Tags