cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Unable to open .idr or .cgm files as illustrations

TomM
12-Amethyst

Unable to open .idr or .cgm files as illustrations

Hi.

I've created a couple of figures in Creo illustrate 7.0. I published them and now I wish to view them in Creo View Lite 5.1. As far as 3d formats are concerned everything seems to work fine and pdf files for 2d views open as well. The problem lies with .idr and .cgm files which when I try to open Creo View hangs and I need to shut it down.

I can import a standalone .cgm file - Creo View asks to choose to either open it as and Illustration or a Drawing. The drawing works, the illustration hangs the program. If I open a pvz file I have no option available to open those as Drawings and it always hangs.

Is it the case because I try to open them in Creo View 5.1 and they're not compatible or there's some other issue?

P.S. 

1. Why callouts end up moved around randomly when I open the published pvz file in Creo View?

2. Why color overrides are not present in published pvz file? See the green piece on 2nd image. 

The first image is a supposed view in Illustrate, the second is the published outcome in Creo View.

1.JPG

2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:TomM)

8 REPLIES 8
agarland
15-Moonstone

Hi Tom,

I would suggest contacting tech support and giving them as much detail as you can about your system set up as well as examples.

They should be able to help track down the issue.

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:agarland)

Hi. I sort of figured this out.

Here's what's happening and it is a bug from my PoV:

If I publish my illustration (pvz) in this way:

File -> Publish ->Settings -> Publish button (lower right-hand corner) the outcome is as shown in my OP.

What works? File -> Publish _> Settings -> Publish and view. It solves all of the aforementioned issues except for coloring. 

Why this works? Probably because then it opens the files in Creo View Express even though I have Creo View 5.1 installed and can't open Creo View Express in any other way.

@VladimirN Can't access this link. I have a basic account here cause apparently my corp can't or won't create a customer account for me and my colleague for whatever reason. For some reason it's quite hard and goes through multiple levels of organisation to do so. 😞

agarland
15-Moonstone

Hi Tom,

From what you say it looks like updating to your Creo VIew lite to 7.0 is the way to resolve this issue.

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:agarland)

I will ask the IT team about available options tomorrow. Thanks.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

You can also try - "Creo View Express 8.0": https://www.ptc.com/-/media/Files/Creo-View/CreoView_Express_64.exe

TomM
12-Amethyst
(To:VladimirN)

I have had Creo View Express 8.0  installed, it solved these problems. They were tied to incompatibility between versions of programmes I used. Thank you all for involvement.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

I'm glad you solved your problem.

Top Tags