cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Ansys Simulate for Study of bolt pretension

PS_10114112
6-Contributor

Ansys Simulate for Study of bolt pretension

How to simulate the bolt pretension in creo simulate. can someone use the model in attachment for a demo with 30kN(it is axial force due to tightening torque).

21 REPLIES 21

att. one of many options in creo simulate

PS_10114112
6-Contributor
(To:skunks)

How can I get the Von mises stress and Equivalent Plastic strain of bolt shank for the applied tightening torque?(the 30kN is the axial force calculated for the applied tightening torque)

How the thermal defined  for this structural situation?

please see att.

PS_10114112
6-Contributor

Hello,

I am looking for Equivalent Plastic strain of bolt material with the 30kN pretension.

so how can I run the simulation in this approach for nonlinear plasticity. please see the attachment, the "plasticity" is not able to select.

neuber_stress.png

neuber_notch_stress_true.png

Neuber notch stress (true)

PS_10114112
6-Contributor

Thanks.

but the Equivalent Plastic strain is not available for the bolt

elastic plastic material is required but not necessary for this model

elastic_plastic_material.png

att. ideal elastic-plastic

PS_10114112
6-Contributor

Thank you.

I could run the simulation.

But some doubts I have.

1. How the contact between external thread region of bolt and internal thread region of block considered? In this model(creo simulate) I could not find any interface defined for that region.

2. I could see the interface between washer  and block suppressed for simulating the elasto-plastic situation. Will this give the exact result, as the real situation is with a contact at this region.

I prefer my first model,
but for exact results the model needs to be much finer...

fem_exakt.pngstress_exakt.png

PS_10114112
6-Contributor

Hello,

Equivalent Plastic strain is a required output. In second method I am able to get the Equivalent Plastic strain. since some contacts are not defined in second method, the result is doubtful.

Can we have any other method in creo simulate to do get the Equivalent Plastic strain of elasto-plastic material?

You want a fine model with the thread in detail?
I could build one.

PS_10114112
6-Contributor

I need Equivalent Plastic strain of the bolt in the model I shared initially. with or without thread doesn't matters. The stress and Equivalent Plastic strain obtained in 2nd method are not matching to the result from ABACUS.

I build a fine model.
For comparison you need the same material law.

with thread att.

please check preload and material law

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:PS_10114112)

Unclear exactly what you are trying to achieve with this analysis, but typically fasteners are not analyzed with a FEM. There are closed form hand calcs for the various things that you need to get out of a preloaded joint. If you are not familiar with these methods, I would suggest reviewing NASA 5020.

PS_10114112
6-Contributor
(To:Chris3)

Hello,

I am working with a threaded joint, to find its static FOS of threaded component, with stress at the thread is more than the yield point of material. for this purpose the Equivalent Plastic strain is required.

Were you able to achieve a result?
enclosed is my comparison

PS_10114112
6-Contributor

May I know why the assembly I shared initially, converted to .stp and opened that .stp file as Assembly and given overlapping constrain to that?

Will it work if I did the overlapping in my model itself and run simulation directly?

hm...

I use special templates for simulate,
that always works.

Top Tags