cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Creo Flow Analysis - Solid Conductivity

Mark_Goodhead
4-Participant

Creo Flow Analysis - Solid Conductivity

Morning All, 

I'm sure this will be a simple Q. However, I'm unable to determine how to set my simulation to apply a thermal conductivity through the model? 

I've got two heat sources on the top surface of the model, 600W source each. 

Heat-Source

I'm passing a flow of air of a series of fan blades & thus want to determine the effectiveness of the fan blades. 

When I set the simulation up - I am able to determine the effect of the heat source on the surface of the model however I think that the heat isn't being transferred to the fins in a method I would expect. My results can be seen below. 

Streamline HeatStreamline HeatTop down Model View Heating EffectTop down Model View Heating EffectFront On Heating Effect Temperature EffectFront On Heating Effect Temperature Effect

This all looked promising. However, when I section the model, I see that no heat has been transferred through the model. I can confirm this through the streamline heat, see images below. Streamline UndersideStreamline UndersideHeat X-SectionHeat X-Section

A little bit more of further info: 

• Modals selected: Common / Data Exchange / Flow / Heat / Streamline / Turbulence
  • External Study 
  • Air flow: 0.042m3/s Volumetric Flux
  • Heat Source: 600W (Total Heat Flux) / Heat Direction: Inflow
  • Software: Creo 8.0.0

I hope that all make sense. Thank you for any help that you can provide. 

Edit 1: With a bit more searching I've managed to find a setting on the mesh function that meshes internal volumes. This has helped a touch; however, my next issue is that I can't get any heat transfer through the Heat Dump into the part itself. See image below. 

Temperature Step ChangeTemperature Step Change

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is this a single solid part or an assembly? In your top down view, it looks like there are two parts with fins attached to a base but it doesn't look like that in the other views.

If it's an assembly:

Make sure you have material and thermal properties assigned to all of the parts

After generating the mesh there would be interfaces between the solid parts. Make sure these are conjugate walls. These might be where you would assign the heat source. There should also be interfaces between the solids and the air domain which should also be conjugate walls.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Is this a single solid part or an assembly? In your top down view, it looks like there are two parts with fins attached to a base but it doesn't look like that in the other views.

If it's an assembly:

Make sure you have material and thermal properties assigned to all of the parts

After generating the mesh there would be interfaces between the solid parts. Make sure these are conjugate walls. These might be where you would assign the heat source. There should also be interfaces between the solids and the air domain which should also be conjugate walls.

Mark_Goodhead
4-Participant
(To:tmoser)

Hi, Thank you for your reply. In the model above i had model the IGBT as a separate body within the same model. When I changed the IGBT to seperate parts the model was working as intended. Thank you for your response. 

Hi, I'm following your situation and I have the same problem. I don't understand what you means:

" When I changed the IGBT to seperate parts the model was working as intended". Which parts then I have to separate?

In my case I have a simple assembly (.asm) with two parts (.prt) but  it doesn't seem to work. I have the same situation like you of the first post. My heatsink does't transfer the heat source.
Thank you for your help
Fabio

Hi, how have you step up your Heat Source? In my domain for the IGBT I've set the initial conditions to be "Total Heat Source" with a value. 

In addition, I've set the "Mesh Location" to include all surfaces. That worked for me? Does that help?

Hi, I have setting to "Total Heat Source" Inflow with 10W of value.

"Mesh location" is an option in  Mesh tab under select Domains? 

I can't find it.

Yes - if you select the domain in the model flow tree you should see the option in the drop-down menu. See below. 

Volume Mesh LocationVolume Mesh Location

ok, thank's.

In my case is selected "Exterior Volume",

I need to select "All volume"? 

Yes select "All Volumes" that should work. 

Hi, 

I have tryed but i think that there is something wrong. 

If you want, I have attached my litte assembly, to try simulate.

I set a speed air of 1 m/s trough heatsink, and 10w heatsource on a small heatsource(under heatsink) and 1013205 Pa to outpressure

Thank's in advance if you try to simulate.

Top Tags